Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #1 
Sassington

End of life for my guy?

Hey y'all.. It's been a while since I've been on this site but I wanted to pick your brains on my situation.

I've had my blue betta "Thomas" since October 2011, in the same 3 gallon tank by himself, with the same heater at the same water temp, silk plants, etc., doing the same water change routine as I always have (admittedly not as stringent every single week but my boy is never neglected) feeding the same food, fasting once every few days... So on and so forth.. I will say that I took the light bulb out of his tank about a year or so ago because once I turned it on, he'd flare at his reflection so long that I think it's stressed him out... He gets a good deal of morning and evening light through our windows that the hood light seemed unnecessary.

Over the last few months, I've noticed he's stopped making bubble nests and seems to have trouble seeing lately... I've tried to engage him with a mirror every so often and he doesn't seem interested. He lunges at food and sometimes misses it, but other times he doesn't know it's there even though he comes up to his usual feeding corner to eat after I (finally) get his attention.

Yesterday, I saw him at the bottom of the tank, which is pretty unusual for him... He (was) a patroller.. He's frisky (until recently).. He was flat on the gravel in his tank (but still upright) and his head was bumping against the gravel with every breath. He just seems like he's struggling...

I did my normal water change yesterday, took the gravel back out (I recently put it in a month or so ago and I thought it may be the reason behind his behavior change). Today, he's back to the bottom of the tank, only now he's halfway between upright and laying on his side (45 angle I guess), and still seems to be struggling... He came up to his resting spot on the heater cord for a few minutes, then swam back down to the bottom. He seems unresponsive to tapping but he's breathing and that's about it.

Nothing has changed in his routine/life, aside from the reintroduction to gravel a month or two ago, and I hadn't noticed until I just looked at pictures of him that I uploaded when I first joined this forum in 2011. His body is completely brown and there's not much blue/teal left on his fins - they're about 50/50 now...

I truly have no idea how old he was when I got him from a small fish store but he was already a big fish when I bought him (my only reference is that I've seen the tiny bettas at petsmart and only then learned that they sold them that tiny after I got mine at his current size).

So, with all that said, do you think he's on his last fin? I don't know what else to do for him other than making sure his water's good and he's warm enough. I think I'll refrain from feeding him for a few days but I don't think it's a stomach issue... But what do I know...

What do you all think? Thanks in advance. =/
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 
Juditko

I'm no expert but I've read that you can lower water height to make him more comfortable. When my betta passed a few weeks ago, I couldn't do that due to other factors so I bought a clear breeding box and suction cupped it at the top of the tank where he could rest and breathe more easily. It had slits in it so I could maintain the regular tank water as normal, temp, etc.

Hopefully one of our Jedis will weigh in with more helpful ideas or treatment possibilities. Do you have aquarium salt? I have a feeling someone may ask that so let's just get that info out there for use if necessary.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #3 
Sassington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
I'm no expert but I've read that you can lower water height to make him more comfortable. When my betta passed a few weeks ago, I couldn't do that due to other factors so I bought a clear breeding box and suction cupped it at the top of the tank where he could rest and breathe more easily. It had slits in it so I could maintain the regular tank water as normal, temp, etc.

Hopefully one of our Jedis will weigh in with more helpful ideas or treatment possibilities. Do you have aquarium salt? I have a feeling someone may ask that so let's just get that info out there for use if necessary.
Thank you.. That's a good idea.. I'll have to pick the breeder's box today and see if that helps... I've been avoiding putting him in a separate bowl because I was caught unprepared (I can't find my 1g spare tank) and I don't think an empty margarine bowl would work.. Hard to condition such a small bowl of water :)
And yes, luckily I have aquarium salt... I just didn't get that far with dosing and where to put him last night... I haven't checked on him yet this morning but hopefully he'll make it another few days while I go through the process of treatment starting tonight.

Last edited by Sassington; 07-18-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #4 
Sassington

Here he is this morning... Unfortunately I can't do anything for him until I get out of work tonight. =(
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #5 
Juditko

FYI I put a couple of silk plant leaves in the breeder for him to rest on and feel safer in.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #6 
sassyfriend

Have a question for you I saw red on your fishy's cheek has that always been like that?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Is his eye cloudy or is that just the flash? Is there any poop in there that you can look at? If there is does it look normal? What are the parameters of your water? What is the temperature of your water? Have you heard of anything locally wrong with your water (i.e. boil advisory)? Do you use well water? Is he the same fish in your avatar photo?

I really like breeder boxes. It lets them stay in their own tank, during a stressful time.

ETA: Great question Sassyfriend.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #8 
Sassington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Is his eye cloudy or is that just the flash? Is there any poop in there that you can look at? If there is does it look normal? What are the parameters of your water? What is the temperature of your water? Have you heard of anything locally wrong with your water (i.e. boil advisory)? Do you use well water? Is he the same fish in your avatar photo?

I really like breeder boxes. It lets them stay in their own tank, during a stressful time.

ETA: Great question Sassyfriend.
That's the flash making the reflection - his eyes are dark like normal. There's a little poop in the bottom of the tank and it looks normal as well. I did a 100% water change Tuesday night, removing the gravel I'd put in two months ago because I thought the gravel had been the cause of this change in him. I hadn't used gravel in a really long time but when I first got him and the tank, I had used it but decided to take it out a year ago because it was a PITA to clean with my crappy gravel vacuum. When I took it out a year ago, I thoroughly rinsed it, letting air-dry before packing it in a large zip lock bag and storing it.

There aren't any water issues with my city water that I know of and I always use water conditioner and stress coat when I do water changes. Since doing the water change Tuesday, I don't know what the parameters are right now. I have a kit to test it but can't until I get home from work. I was going to try to do another water change but don't know how to do it without stressing him out further. I thought the 100% would benefit him but not sure how often I should right now. Yep, that's him in my avatar and in my album named "Thomas" here on the forum. Quite a change of appearance, I'd say =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
Have a question for you I saw red on your fishy's cheek has that always been like that?
Yes, he's had that red lining on the edge of his gills since the day I got him.. Same with his anal fins having red in them, too.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #9 
Sassington

I couldn't edit my last post but I wanted to say that if you look at the picture I have of him in my signature where he's flaring at the camera facing forward, you can see the red scales.. It's more pronounced when I used a flash but normally those scales on the edge of his gills... I noticed they are typically red, brown and gold when he's flaring... That was part of his charm when I first got him and why I picked him because he was so multi-faceted.

I looked under the illnesses sticky/info here and his condition doesn't really fall into a specific area so I don't know what to do to treat him, other than water changes. Aquarium salt seems like it may or may not help... Looks like it would be more for fin rot or parasites, which he has neither.

I don't know.. What do I do? I hate to see him suffer and not be able to help.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #10 
sassyfriend

I really wish I knew what to say.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote