Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #11 
Bailmint

When I said them I meant the betta XD
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #12 
Fishy Mom

It really does come down to what the betta prefers. I have a recovered tail biter & doing everything short of putting him into tail biters anonymous, the only thing that helped was keeping him in a smaller 2.5g tank in my kitchen where all the action is to distract him. He also will only eat frozen bloodworms & Aqueon pellets & snubs any other foods...even frozen brine shrimp.

So, my opinion is that there is no one rule, tank size, food, etc. that fits all bettas.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

I believe it depends on the betta. Personality and size of the betta determines what size tank is best for him or her. I wouldn't put an adult double tail, halfmoon, delta or king betta in a 2.5 gallon. However, there are some of those betta types that actually do best in the smaller tanks.

I also greatly dislike anything smaller than a 5.5 gallon. Smaller tanks require more work to up keep.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTheFish View Post
My feeling is this:
I'm not going to cycle and filter a 1 gallon tank, seems like too much hassle.

Everyone gets lazy, and sooner or later you will miss a WC.

Move everybody to a 2.5 gal and cycle it and heat it. That way when, not if, you miss a WC, it won't be the biggest deal in the world.

Just my feelings on it, I'm not proclaiming the Gospel here.
I agree 1000%. While some people might like the idea that their fishs life hangs in the balance and is dependent on the keeper maintaining the tank, it's not a matter of if but when, as was said. If is my opinion as well that providing a cycled tank is far more stable for the fish.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #15 
Deanna01

See, the smallest size any of mine are in is 5 gallons (one has a 12-gallon to himself), and they're so happy I can't imagine having them in something smaller. But I haven't tried smaller tanks, so I guess I really can't say. I would have to compare how they are in the smaller tanks to how they are in the bigger ones.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #16 
xfrequentflyerx

My opinion is any gallon size tank for a betta is fine, really. And I agree with you! Most people selfishly argue on Yahoo about how everything should be bigger. First of all it depends on the betta fish. My betta LOVES his 1G tank and if I switched it would not matter to him. He's pretty happy. 1G tanks are easier to clean out and manage cause they are smaller. That we all know is true. Just try experimenting. Plus Petsmart lets you return tanks if you are not satisfied with them! I only have 1 betta fish right now and the 1G is all he needs to be happy. And 2.5 is also a good size. I am getting another betta fish and another 1G tank for a halfmoon betta when I get to college (which is in a few weeks from now). I mean, a 5G is great cause you can DECORATE! And its really fun... LOL. But it really does not matter what size to be honest. I feel like people make the BIGGEST fuss over this and it should not be a big deal. I have had plenty of friends who have had bettas in 1G tanks and they lived for 3 years. Some people may say that in order for the fish to live longer, the need a bigger tank. This stereotype is NOT TRUE at all! If anything, it matters on how the person manages the tank, and not how long the fish can withstand a smaller tank. But this is just my opinion guys.
xfrequentflyerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #17 
Deanna01

I actually do disagree that 1-gallon tanks are easier, and I think that's easily researched to be untrue. The bigger a tank you have, the easier it is to manage, because you only have to do water changes occasionally, and you don't have to change out all the water each time.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #18 
xfrequentflyerx

Like I said before, it was an opinion. That did not mean that you had to agree with me of course. I really at this point won't argue over what tank type does the best care. This post was not about that, and I don't wanna go off-topic. But I do think still that it doesn't matter what tank size you get for your betta!

Deanna01, you said before about how you never have really used a smaller tank. Please don't comment unless you've used one, thanks.

Last edited by xfrequentflyerx; 07-18-2013 at 04:39 PM.
xfrequentflyerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #19 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfrequentflyerx View Post
Deanna01, you said before about how you never have really used a smaller tank. Please don't comment unless you've used one, thanks.
I think that's extremely rude of you to say. What makes you qualified to determine who can comment and who can't?? Haha it's not even like it's your thread (not that that matters for anything)!

It's not like she was hiding the fact that she has not used smaller tanks - she was up front about it, presumably so that those reading would be aware of her experience and take that into consideration when forming their opinions. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for people that do that, as opposed to those that conveniently leave out such information.

I've kept bettas in tanks from 30 gallons down to 2.5 gallons. I currently have one in a 5 and one in a 2.5, and based on my observations I would not go less than 2.5 gallons. I don't need to have kept one in a bowl to know it's not something to which I would subject my fish. And I say that as someone who could not care less how other people keep their fish - especially their bettas. Honestly, I don't even like bettas. But I do care about sensible fish keeping. If you think a 1 gallon "tank" is appropriate for your fish then by all means, don't let anyone stop you. After all, you're the one that has to look at the tank everyday.

We all have to decide for ourselves what we want our fish to have. Some people are BARE MINIMUM people and are happy to keep their fish in the smallest tank possible, in the smallest "school" possible. Other people like to provide more for their fish. Bare minimum people should not take it personally when someone mentions providing more for their fish. Just keep on keeping your fish in the smallest possible container and move on. If, by chance, that makes you feel bad about what you do, then you ought to examine why that is the case. Your opinion is no more important than mine or anyone elses. Lest we forget why we are here, the purpose of a forum such as this is discussing topics while sharing and learning information. Don't ever tell someone not to post.

Last edited by jaysee; 07-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #20 
Deanna01

xfrequentflyerx, as someone with a background in linguistics, I suspected from your syntax that you are not a native speaker of English. Hence I wasn't going to quibble with you, in case you thought you were stating an opinion.

However, what you actually said was "1G tanks are easier to clean out and manage cause they are smaller. That we all know is true." That is not stated as opinion; that is stated as fact--and it's not true. Your phrasing was the reason for the correction.

Tags
tank size