Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #11 
VJM

I was convinced it hated my tanks too. It was merely biding it's time. I am on daily duckweed removal patrol.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah but my 10 has been set up since January which isn't much time considering others but it has never grown there dispite how much I threw in there, I'd just die because of the water circulation. Which is fine by me
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #13 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Oh no, I'm not asking. Since you help a lot of members, I thought you knew. ^.^

Sponge filters are just sponges with a tube like thing and air tubing. The air pushes water into the sponge and therefore; filtrates it. It seems to be best for BB, a lot of media and whatnot. It just bubbles up to the surface; it has no intake. Here is mine.
Not on filters I don't. I know nothing about them. My boyfriends brother had a filter on his 20 g, it sucked up his fish and they all died. He obviously make a boo boo, but I swore I'd never have a tank/species that needed a filter. Well, now I really would like to have a healthy thriving community NPT with a Betta sorority in it. So.. that has led me to needing a filter.

ETA: The size is undetermined as of yet. I'm buying it tomorrow. The smallest it would be is 20 g, but I did just find a good sized pay check from May that I didn't know I had... so.... I might splurge on something bigger if I can get the boyfriend to agree, and I'm pretty good at getting him to agree.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
My boyfriends brother had a filter on his 20 g, it sucked up his fish and they all died. He obviously make a boo boo, but I swore I'd never have a tank/species that needed a filter.
Filters don't kill fish. Fish that are either dying or already dead and are collected by filters. 1 day old cichlid fry are capable of not being sucked into the filter.

I'm not trying to trying to be argumentative, but your fear of filters is totally irrational. That's like saying "My friend was in a car accident while in an SUV, so I'm never riding in an SUV again." Or, "My friend got sick from the steak they ate last night, so I'm never eating meat again."
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #15 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Filters don't kill fish. Fish that are either dying or already dead and are collected by filters. 1 day old cichlid fry are capable of not being sucked into the filter.

I'm not trying to trying to be argumentative, but your fear of filters is totally irrational. That's like saying "My friend was in a car accident while in an SUV, so I'm never riding in an SUV again." Or, "My friend got sick from the steak they ate last night, so I'm never eating meat again."
Well, if you don't know anything about filters your assumption would be that they all died as a result of being sucked into the filter. I never saw it, but he said they were shredded up into little bit.

I've had others at work tell me that their fish were sucked into the filter too. So I don't think it's irrational if your only knowledge about filters is based on other people's experiences and they are not always good ones. Now, everyone always says they did something wrong, but at the same time there's still the fear "what if I do something wrong?".

It's not always irrational to say "____ happened to my friend, I'll never do that because of that." If I said, "My friend died in a drunk driving accident, I'll never ride with a drunk driver" that's basing your choices off others life experiences.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #16 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yes, it is a common assumption that the fish got sucked into the filter. But, healthy fish can avoid the filter with ease. Fish don't maintain their integrity for very long after they die.

No, it's not always irrational to say "such and such". One need not have a friend die in a drunk driving accident to decide not to ride with drunk drivers. That's just making a smart decision. Drunk driving and dying are closely related. However, the examples I used reflect the nature of the issue, which is that one has no bearing on the other.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

I guess sponge filters are your best bet to not get anything sucked in. And sorry about your brother's fish; they might've been weak?

And sorry, I'm not learning physics in middle school..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Filters can and do kill fish. Try putting a HOB in with some week old betta fry. Most healthy adult fish should be able to avoid filters though.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #19 
jaysee
Reference Team

I don't have experience with betta fry, but I do have experience with cichlid fry and like I said, 1 day old cichlid fry are able to avoid my massive filtration systems.

Chances are the fish in question were not week old betta fry though...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea but your statement was very broad and made the impression that all healthy fish can survive a filter.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote