Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #41 
LittleDeer

+1 to what Jeano said about the leaf hammock

I do believe they are removing the wires now.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #42 
AltheaGlyndwr

So I don't understand what you guys are saying about the decor smelling like paint... How do you know if the decor is affecting the fish's health? What is this about a coating on the outside? I have the lantern and I have had it in my tanks for almost a year now... Is that wrong? :/ I'm confused and now pretty worried. How do I know? I always rinse new decor off in hot water and when I do water changes I clean the decor with hot water too...
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #43 
Skyewillow

When something has a strong scent, it means that there's chemicals causing that scent, and it's slowly diffusing into the water. Similar to how Carbon Monoxide would diffuse into the air of a house, causing toxicity.

If you're really worried about it, just take it out of your tank real quick, take a quick sniff. If it smells like water, or like a lake, it's fine, but if it smells like paint, or chemicals, then either toss, or reseal.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #44 
AltheaGlyndwr

Okay, how do you reseal things and with what exact product? I like the idea of siliconing harsh edges or holes you know are too small for your betta but where/what exact product do you get for that?

I have quite a few decorations from petsmart, I have that lantern thing, some kind of chinese little temple, the really neat bridge with "broken" rungs, one of the mayan stone head guys, and the camo like tan desert cave thing... :/ I've had all of them almost my entire fish keeping career... :( Have I seriously just been poisoning my fish?
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #45 
LizbethDawn

I have the Sponge Bob pineapple and Squidward house and I had that slime in my tank plus cloudy water and I thought it was something I was doing -.-

I fixed it by cleaning everything in water as hot as I could stand it and letting it dry for a couple days in the sun. I didn't ever see any chipping paint, slime, or cloudy water after that.

I've got like 5 or 6 of the hammock and none have a wire so I've never had a problem with mine.

Penn Plax Hideaway Pipes

Took a chunk out of one of my boys. Pulled it out and the inside lip of mine had some nasty edges. Fixed it with some aquarium silicone but I guess you could sand them down too I just had silicone and not sandpaper on hand.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #46 
wish4coner

This is a GUPPY ornament that they don't list as such, and have over all of the betta ornaments at Petsmart. I did not realize that, inside are small holes leading up to white cottage part in the middle. The window is a hole. A female went up through hole inside, that you can't see, and tried to get out of the hole. Not even a chance to save her.

I now run my hands inside every ornament to see if they have holes, or sharp edges. There are ceramic logs that "look like" real logs but, if you run your hand inside, it is all sharp edges. Again, these are guppy ornaments but put with the betta supplies.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #47 
wish4coner

Those moss logs also add big time algae to your tank. I put them in, as it said "good for bettas" and, I kept noticing a smell from my "daily cleaned" fry tanks. Yep, it was the moss. I am now buying only hand made ornaments.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 AM   #48 
Skyewillow

I swear, these dang ornaments. I seem to have a knack for picking the bad ones!

Bought 2 of these, got them in Wed, soaked overnight, smelled like paint this morning.

I'd like to do some more natural stuff for the most part, but occasionally, an ornament suits my mood, I don't think that I should be having such terrible luck! Yuck!!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #49 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I swear, these dang ornaments. I seem to have a knack for picking the bad ones!

Bought 2 of these, got them in Wed, soaked overnight, smelled like paint this morning.

I'd like to do some more natural stuff for the most part, but occasionally, an ornament suits my mood, I don't think that I should be having such terrible luck! Yuck!!
Very glad I opted not to pick that up now for Merlin since I threw out his large ornament. Hoping that the different ornament I bought him doesn't smell like paint!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #50 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Very glad I opted not to pick that up now for Merlin since I threw out his large ornament. Hoping that the different ornament I bought him doesn't smell like paint!
Soak it for a couple of days in a bucket first.