Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

Hey Sassington i am wondering how often and how much water you usually change for him in that 3 gall tank?
Seems like water changes that you did helped him a little. So i would continue with daily water changes and slowly acclimation.
I would try aquarium salt , it really helps to balance his electrolytes level and it also has antibacterial effect.
You need to pre mix it first , dissolved, make sure there is no salt crystals left . Do daily 100% water changes , again with slowly acclimation. See if he will perk up . Do 1 tsp/gall today or tomorrow when you can and then if you see he is better you can increase it to 2 tsp/gall.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #22 
Sassington

Hey everyone... My little guy did not survive the night. I so hoped he would have bounced back a little by Monday but he just wasn't strong enough. He was my first betta..... and I'm going to miss his little excited wiggles and shimmies.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #23 
countyrd419

So sorry for your lose. May he rest in peace.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #24 
sassyfriend

I am so sorry, my friend!!!!! I am here for you if you need someone to talk too. I too am still grieving. I am so sorry!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

very sorry for your loss. I know it too early to say but i just want to let you know , if you will decide to rescue another betta you need to disinfect the tank and everything in the tank.
Do not get discourage though, bettas get sick just like a human being no matter how good you care about them .

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=2036738
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #26 
Sassington

Thanks everyone.. I appreciate the kind words.

Anhel123, I did spend the entire morning and part of the afternoon cleaning all the bits, parts, and whatnots. I threw away filters and sponges, sprayed/soaked everything I could in white vinegar, scrubbed everything I could with it, rinsed, rinsed, and rinsed again - and then let everything air dry and stored it all away. I don't know how much that would be considered "disinfecting" but from what I had read at the time, it seemed that using vinegar to clean everything would be enough, at least for now.

I do want to get another betta at some point (I saw this AMAZING powder blue male with some of the coolest pectoral fins I've ever seen... hard to described but it had really super ruffly pectoral fins at PetCo yesterday when I was getting a kritter keeper) but I'm not sure when that will happen. It's up in the air at this point.

Again, thanks everyone.. It's good to know that I have a large group of betta lovers to lean on during these tough times. No one will quite understand like the good people on this site.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #27 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassington View Post
Thanks everyone.. I appreciate the kind words.

Anhel123, I did spend the entire morning and part of the afternoon cleaning all the bits, parts, and whatnots. I threw away filters and sponges, sprayed/soaked everything I could in white vinegar, scrubbed everything I could with it, rinsed, rinsed, and rinsed again - and then let everything air dry and stored it all away. I don't know how much that would be considered "disinfecting" but from what I had read at the time, it seemed that using vinegar to clean everything would be enough, at least for now.

I do want to get another betta at some point (I saw this AMAZING powder blue male with some of the coolest pectoral fins I've ever seen... hard to described but it had really super ruffly pectoral fins at PetCo yesterday when I was getting a kritter keeper) but I'm not sure when that will happen. It's up in the air at this point.

Again, thanks everyone.. It's good to know that I have a large group of betta lovers to lean on during these tough times. No one will quite understand like the good people on this site.
Sorry to hear about Thomas :( Sounds like he had a very happy fishie life with a wonderful friend (you!). He may simply have quite naturally reached the end of his life...if you got him in 2011...not all bettas are going to live to be 5 or so, no matter the quality of care provided.

Personally, I would set up your tank again (sounds like you did a good job cleaning it) and go get that powder blue male you fell in love with!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #28 
sunlight

I know he was one happy betta:)
Just one more suggestion for 3 gall tank you really don't need the filter. Next time whenever you ready for another betta just do 2-50% and one full water change a week. Some people advice do not cycle anything smaller than 5 gall and some saying that you can cycle ....but it easily for cycle to crash in the smaller tank.

Also not sure if you know how to acclimate betta when you do full water change so let us know and we will give you instructions if you need any.

Good luck and we hope to see you soon:)
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #29 
Juditko

Lost our first last month also. Quit for a while and experimented with other fish. Finally fell in love with a new betta and its going well. Glad we did. Sorry for your loss. When its time you'll know.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #30 
Sassington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
I know he was one happy betta:)
Just one more suggestion for 3 gall tank you really don't need the filter. Next time whenever you ready for another betta just do 2-50% and one full water change a week. Some people advice do not cycle anything smaller than 5 gall and some saying that you can cycle ....but it easily for cycle to crash in the smaller tank.

Also not sure if you know how to acclimate betta when you do full water change so let us know and we will give you instructions if you need any.

Good luck and we hope to see you soon:)
Thank you! I'd welcome any information on acclimation you'd be willing to share.. I've always felt like I was stressing him out when I did a 100% WC. I had been putting him in a cup and floating it in the clean water, then dumping a little bit of the cup water out and gradually adding a bit of the fresh water to the cup. I'd do that back and forth action for about an hour until I thought it was time to release him to the tank.

I'd also like to find a better way to do partial changes while leaving him in the tank... Does anyone have suggestions for that? I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thank you in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
Lost our first last month also. Quit for a while and experimented with other fish. Finally fell in love with a new betta and its going well. Glad we did. Sorry for your loss. When its time you'll know.
Thank you. I'm hoping to get another at some point soon because I miss my guy terribly and my countertop where his tank was is awfully empty. I just feel like I did something wrong to cause such a rapid decline and don't want to do that "something" again... It was hard watching him fade and being helpless to stop it. =/

Thank you again. =)