Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #61 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Instead of lugging the buckets around, you could simply use a pump to pump the water to the tanks. You can put the pump on a remote that way you can turn the water on and off with a click of a button.

You can use the same pump to drain the tanks for water changes.

Sent from Petguide.com App
What kind of a pump?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #62 
Kiara1125

I say 1g is the minimum. I've kept long finned bettas in a 1g and they've been fine. If I put them in more than that then I noticed that they tend to deteriorate. Fish who are used to cups and jars their whole life love living in bowls and such. They have adequate room and it doesn't stress them out. I've heard so much stuff about people buying fish from AB and they put the fish in a large tank and the fish ends up becoming a fin biter. They're not used to the large space, so I do believe that sometimes it's worth putting bettas in smaller tanks. My step mother had a VT live in a 1g bowl for *8* years, while my betta only lasted a year in a 10g and he was a PK. Sure, genetics has thiga to play into it, but due to personal experience, I believe that bigger isn't always better.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #63 
nel3

i don't mind 1g tanks though they're high maintenance but not for permanent homes just because I have the space for something larger. I honestly cant understand my 2,5g tank, the with substrate leaves 2g for water and one betta gets to .5ppm ammonia within 4 days and a bit higher than that after 5 days. ive done a 50wc at that point but it did very little to cut down the ammonia. I do prefer the 3.4g kk atm as the larger water quantity is easier to maintain.
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #64 
Graceful

I am one who always recommends the largest habitat size for any animal. However, every betta is different, every owner is different, and I think with the proper care, 1+ gallons is just fine.

(I personally went for a 10-gallon! I knew I wanted other fish with my betta, though, and lots of room for plants and decor.)
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #65 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i don't mind 1g tanks though they're high maintenance but not for permanent homes just because I have the space for something larger. I honestly cant understand my 2,5g tank, the with substrate leaves 2g for water and one betta gets to .5ppm ammonia within 4 days and a bit higher than that after 5 days. ive done a 50wc at that point but it did very little to cut down the ammonia. I do prefer the 3.4g kk atm as the larger water quantity is easier to maintain.
Whenever I keep my bettas in bowls and 2.5s, I put plants and gravel in there. That way, the tanks are cycled and the plants are taking care of the nitrates. I do a water change once a week just like my other tanks. I never have any ammonia or nitrite problems and the nitrates stay at 5-10ppm.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #66 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Fish who are used to cups and jars their whole life love living in bowls and such. They have adequate room and it doesn't stress them out. I've heard so much stuff about people buying fish from AB and they put the fish in a large tank and the fish ends up becoming a fin biter. They're not used to the large space, so I do believe that sometimes it's worth putting bettas in smaller tanks.
I don't believe a single lick of that. I've purchased and owned COUNTLESS bettas. All coming from AquaBid and pet stores. All growing up in small spaces. Every betta I've put in my 5.5 gallon has been extremely happy with the space. No stress at all.

FYI: tail biting commonly comes about when the betta is bored. Sometimes it comes up when they're stressed. But most times it is boredom.

Another thing, if they truly aren't used to the space, then slowly work up to the space. Don't just plop em in there and expect them to like it. That's why I still have my 1 gal, 2.5 and 3.5 gal. Another way to go about it is to overplant the larger tank. Then once a week, remove a plant. Slowly working up to the actual size of the tank.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #67 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
What kind of a pump?
I use an Azoo 1800 powerhead. They are not expensive and pretty durable. Depending on where things are at, you could put a small bucket in the sink and fill it with water (to temp). With the water running, put the pump in the bucket in the sink and run the hose to where it needs to go. If you use a remote plug for the pump, you can turn it on and off with that. You might want to go with a smaller powerhead that way there is no risk of pumping the bucket dry.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #68 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I don't believe a single lick of that. I've purchased and owned COUNTLESS bettas. All coming from AquaBid and pet stores. All growing up in small spaces. Every betta I've put in my 5.5 gallon has been extremely happy with the space. No stress at all.

FYI: tail biting commonly comes about when the betta is bored. Sometimes it comes up when they're stressed. But most times it is boredom.

Another thing, if they truly aren't used to the space, then slowly work up to the space. Don't just plop em in there and expect them to like it. That's why I still have my 1 gal, 2.5 and 3.5 gal. Another way to go about it is to overplant the larger tank. Then once a week, remove a plant. Slowly working up to the actual size of the tank.
I'm not saying that it's the gospel truth and that you have to believe it. I'm stating my opinion and personal experience.

Also, FYI: tail biting can come from different things, not just specifically boredom. I had my HM in a divided 10g and when I decided to let him have the whole 10 (while he can still see his neighboring bettas) he started tail biting. He's certainly not bored, since there's more to occupy him with now. He only started tail biting after being out into a bigger space. If I divide the 10, then he stops. This is the behavior I have observed. I'm not saying it happens to every betta in the book.

As for the plopping in, I always take time for my betta to get used to their environment. For my females, I let them float in their cups for a day before releasing them. I found that they don't hide and are more acquainted with the fish this way. There is less bickering and I've had much success this way. I do the same for the males.

One more thing, the 10g for my HM is extremely overplanted.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 07-19-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #69 
ZombieKeepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post

I've owned several ... probably HUNDRED bettas at this point ranging from rescues to AB fish[from Thailand & US breeders] and I'm agreeing with Kiara. I've seriously never had fish in bigger tanks to themselves live for more then a year, even "slowly working up to the tank size". Bettas become fin biters because it can be convenient when they can't move around their environment quickly enough and their fins become a burden. 5 of my current bettas in 1gals have lived for ... 2.5 years now ... with no fin biting going on and they're very obviously happy. No, I don't change their water every day or week or month, either.

Sorry you ignore advice that could be useful just because you don't like it.
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #70 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKeepr View Post
Sorry you ignore advice that could be useful just because you don't like it.
I have quite an immense experience among bettas and other fish. I didn't state my opinion was a fact and neither is the statement that I disagreed with. Just because it works/or happens with you, doesn't make it a fact. I don't support it because I haven't had any issues. And there's nothing wrong with me not supporting the opinion.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank size