Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #1 
shannonpwns

Is this cycled?

Ugh, don't even get me started on how ticked off I am right now...just glad the fish is okay. Apparently I'm the one to go to when you have an unwanted fish now with my friends?

Anyways. My friend contacted me and said they didn't want their Betta anymore and if I wanted to take him and his tank. I guess they saw me posting my new rescue last week, and took the opportunity.

So she brings over this 1.3 gallon tank, duct taped shut so it wouldn't splash in the car....I'm like "come on...you didn't have a baggy?". I started asking her about him, how long she's had him, her reply "about 6 months". So I figure he's used to a certain diet and routine...so I ask her how often and what she feeds him and she says "uhmmm, one pellet every day". So I get a little worried..and take a betta look at him, he doesn't look too skinny, but his fins are shredded...and half missing. I don't know if he shredded them or if it was tail rot or what. So then I ask how often she does a 100% WC. She says "3 months ago"

So I test the water...and the ammonia is at .25, I was expecting it to be at like 10. Did this tank cycle? Despite his torn fins, he seems fine. Water is clear. Just a small amount of algae growth. Im curious to test the nitrates and nitrites. But I need a new test kit. Maybe I'll save the water and put him in something else so I can test it in a few days.

Not sure what to name him yet, he has beautiful blue eyes though. I've got his tank next to my male, Leonard, right now and Leonard is going nuts flaring. But this guy just ignores him. He seems like a very kind fish, who's been through a lot!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  70.2 KB

Last edited by shannonpwns; 07-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #2 
shellieca

He looks pretty good for such a lack of care. Yes his tank could've cycled but since it registers .25 then likely its not. If he's only been eating 1 pellet a day he probably hasn't been producing much waste. Glad you were able to take him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #3 
shannonpwns

It was actually lower than .25, it was more towards 0 than .25. But who knows. It's a new test kit for ammonia and I'm not used to the readings. It's bright yellow for 0 and light lime green for .25, but it looked like a yellowish green in the middle of the two, so I dunno.

And I tested my tap water for comparison, and my pure tap water read at 1ppm ammonia, I was a little grossed out.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 
rickey
Banned

He looks pretty well considering the care he was getting. The tank may well be semi cycled check the tank for nitrite and nitrate to be sure.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #5 
shellieca

I have to lay the test tube against a white paper towel to tell. I'm sure after 3 months the tank cycled. The main thing is he's in good hands now.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #6 
shannonpwns

I ordered a new test kit on amazon, since they're twice as much in the store...so when I get that I'll test the water properly. Cause if it is, I'm gonna use his rock to help seed my new tank and jump start my fish less cycle some.

He does look really good, just his caudal fin looks half the length as it should be. She said she doesn't like him anymore cause he's all red. Apparently his fins were half red, half cello when she got him and his body was pink.

Well, I'm gonna slowly up his food to 4-5 pellets and introduce him to blood worms and mosquito larvae, since I've got some (unwanted, might i add!) growing in my pond right now. Gonna scoop some up before we kill them off.