Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #21 
snowflake311

My long bodied hmpk dragon dumbo. I thought there was smomething wrong with him because I never saw a betta this long before. He need to fatten up too I just got him. He is doing really well. His tail fin is also a bit messed up. His long look is growin on me.

Wow trilobite that is one ugly fish. Is it yours?

Last edited by snowflake311; 07-19-2013 at 03:16 AM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #22 
trilobite

^ Lol yeah she was one of my first females ever. Even got her with the intention to breed her luckily I failed
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #23 
Saphira101

I would like to enter Tesla.

One cold February day, I was going with my mom and grandmother to the office supply store. There was a Petco right next door, so I naturally went in to look at the bettas. Most of the fish were emaciated and had SBD, fin rot, or were just dying of ammonia poisoning. I wanted to take each one home, but I didn't have a spare tank or a heater. I was about to leave when I saw him. His unique coloring was what caught my eye, because I hadn't seen a blue mustard gas in person before. After a second, I realized that he'd bitten off most of his caudal fin, and that he had fin rot. He was just sitting at the bottom of his cup, only swimming up to breathe or when I picked up his cup. I felt like crying out of pity for the poor creature, and I knew that he was coming home with me, even if it wasn't that day. I stood by his cup the whole time, leaving only once to check the price of kritter keepers. I was probably there for an hour, just standing there. My mom and grandma finally came to get me, and with one last, sad look at the fish, I left. Over the next few days I earned money like a madman, doing chores and such. I asked my mom to run me to PetSmart in order to buy a heater, as Petco didn't have the one I wanted. I bought the heater then returned to Petco. As I walked down the betta aisle, a wave of panic hit me. I didn't see him. I looked around frantically, then relaxed when I saw him behind another cup. I picked him up and grabbed a kritter keeper on my way to the checkout. I was quite excited about my first rescue. I named him Tesla, after Nikola Tesla. His nickname was "The Scientist". I set up his tank immediately. It featured a hammock, java moss, and a pinch of frogbit. It was dosed with Stress Coat and heated to a proper temperature. I floated Tesla in Brisingr's tank while the heater adjusted. He hungrily devoured several Omega One pellets. He took his acclimation quite well, and continued to eat regularly until the third day. That was when he started going downhill. He stopped eating, and went from swimming around happily to sitting lethargically on the tank bottom. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know that he had an internal bacterial infection. He spent his last hours on the leaf hammock which I'd removed the wire from and placed near the surface. I only had him five days, but it felt like a lifetime.

I'll miss you, Tesla. I only wish that I could've recognized your bacterial infection then, and helped you overcome that and your fin rot and grow your tail back.

Name:  user44729_pic35408_1361851569.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  61.5 KB
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #24 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
^ Lol yeah she was one of my first females ever. Even got her with the intention to breed her luckily I failed
Your girl has got my vote.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #25 
PonyJumper101

very sorry Saphira101 :(
PonyJumper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #26 
Saphira101

Thank you, PonyJumper. He's under the rainbow bridge now. :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #27 
LebronTheBetta

Here's my new one, Kryce.

Name:  IMG_4241.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  34.2 KB

He's not THAT "imperfect" so I expect to lose. haha :) He was bought from my LFS, his cup that he came in was smaller than the Petsmart and Petco ones. He was $11, worth the money.

He's a delta, which seems to be a flaw in the show fish world.. You can also see his ragged dorsal fins and his short ventrals; they're also crumped up. Not sure if you can see, but I'll lose anyways. lol ^^"
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #28 
NorthernLights

Imperfect but Awesome

This is my new fish, Sir Galahad. He's a spoon head-type double-tail with 3 pelvic fins. It's not that one pelvic fin is split or forked, there are literally 3 seperate fins.

I got him from the local PetCo because their betta cups are some of the worst I have seen and their bettas are some of the saddest. He alone was in great condition (despite his filthy cup), and I just could not bear to let him rot. He is a very unusual clear royal blue (just like Odysseus), and he's the only other fish I have ever seen with that particular shade of blue. His fins are so large that I thought for a while he was not a double tail, but an OHM with a "dimple". When he "poses" for me he looks like a deep blue circle with a fish's head sticking out.

He's pretty much deep blue all over, with some white accents and a dark head. His pelvic fins have white tips, and this was the best pic I could manage of the 3 fins.
Attached Images

NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #29 
plasticspaceman

My perfectly "imperfect" boy, Edwin, was labeled a platinum HMPK, buuuut he is *not quite* a halfmoon and *not quite* platinum. Just try telling HIM he's not perfect, though. He poses like this... All. Day. Long. He is a looker, though... those ventral fins are to die for.

plasticspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #30 
BettaLover1313

I decided to enter Merlin in this contest though he's not very imperfect, but, hey! Why not?

Merlin is a VT that thinks he's an ST. Seriously, he looks like he could be a ST but I know he's not!
I really don't know how I didn't notice it before, but one of Merlin's right ventral fin is shorter than his left, and his fins, while he had the reign of plastic plants in his tank, were a bit torn (or he was tail biting, never really figured it out), and he seems to have a bit of iridescence on his lower jaw, making it look almost white in some lighting and giving me a heart attack if I forget about it for even a second, but mainly when I first bought him, and a bit in his tail, giving him "purple spots" within the red hues of his body. Also, his dorsal fin has a split in it, and it's just always been that way, it's like this strange little part that hangs like a thread away from the rest, and I'v never been able to figure out why he has it, but it's not an injury. He's also a very grumpy fish. It's a rarity for him to look happy. I've learned to read the varying degrees of his grumpy face just so I can figure out when he's happy, not feeling well, etc.

I wish I had a better shot to show you his one ventral and dorsal fins, but since he's been under the weather, I'm just using an old picture of him flaring and being grump

His tail and fins have healed up since this time and he now has silk plants only in his tank.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote