Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #1 
snowflake311

Why are long bodies not ok?

Our domestic bettas are so far from the wild thing they don't even look like the same fish. Wild males have long strong bodies but domestic bettas are shorter and thicker. Long bodies are a fault I read.

I have this hmpk dragon that has a very long body. But the long sleek look is growing on me. I think it would be cool to see more fish with longer bodies. They seem to be getting shorter.

I guess I just like my fish long and slim.

What do you think about body length?
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I don't remember longer bodies being a fault, I do remember that very short stocky bodies are a fault, mostly stemming from DT's. I think it's more to do with body to fin ratio than how long the actual body is honestly. But I could be wrong of course
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #3 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I don't remember longer bodies being a fault, I do remember that very short stocky bodies are a fault, mostly stemming from DT's. I think it's more to do with body to fin ratio than how long the actual body is honestly. But I could be wrong of course
Oh that makes sence .
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #4 
Setsuna

if long bodys are Faults then im very pissed off at the person that said that lol. No joke All wilds have long bodys and if whoever said that long bodys are faults then that person is stupid because domestic bettas came form wilds
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #5 
trilobite

I think its the thin bodies that are faulted in show bettas since a thin body doesnt match their big heavy fins. I love long thin trad pks though
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #6 
snowflake311

I read it here
http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABPKproposal.htm

FORM AND FINNAGE FAULTS – (ASYMMETRICAL) TRADITIONAL PLAKAT

"13. Body extremely slender comparable to some wildtype Betta species (major fault). "

Maybe this is old or something.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #7 
whatsupyall

You should really read the entire write up. It's a great read and I find it quite interesting. But just reading the title would have told it all lol. It's a proposal by Joep. Not sure if IBC adopted it or not. It would be in your best interest to become a member of IBC that way you would stay updated on their current standards for each class. AND you would learn a lot of things about betta in general. But about my personal preference of body type, I like them all. If fins are in proportion to body, I don't see why I would not like it. :)

Last edited by whatsupyall; 07-20-2013 at 04:30 AM.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 
snowflake311

Yeah I know it's a proposal. I read that. Proposal or not why would some one want to make long bodies a fault?

I have been playing with I idea of joining the IBC.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

IBC standards say "3 to 4 times as long as it is deep" for the body length. Then you have to take into consideration the fin width. IBC standards say the caudal should be 1/3 the body length(plakat). All other non-paired fins should match that. Sooo plakats are meant to be more stout. They would then be closer to 3x the body width than 4x the body width standard.
Plakat standards:

Body 3x longer than width
caudal 1/3 length of body
anal and dorsal-not greater than body width(if you go by the above recommendations for body width and caudal length then it is 1/3 the body length so anal, caudal and dorsal would match(from the center of the anal of course) therefore creating a balanced fish.

So a "long" body would be one longer than 4 times the width...I think that would look funny and should be a fault. It looks find on wild types because they have smaller fins and look balanced. It would be nearly impossible for such a long fish to be balanced with plakat fins.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 07-20-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #10 
whatsupyall

I read the standard for IBC, but where did you get this information about dorsal and anal length?
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote