Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Anyone interested in visiting Thailand?

Is anyone interested in visiting Thailand as a group in say...about 1 year? I used to think Thailand was a dirty third world country until I got into bettas. I realize not that it isn't and would love to go see it. The best part is the cost of visiting is extremely low.I thought if there was enough interest we could do a group tour.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 
shannonpwns

I would be interested! If I could find someone to watch my son...probably my sister.

How long would you think about staying? Even before Bettas I've wanted to go to Thailand.

A ticket for me, next year, from LAX would be around $1000. With one stop in Korea. Not bad.

Last edited by shannonpwns; 07-19-2013 at 05:22 PM.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

I was seeing packages for $1600 total. I'm not really travel savvy but I can hunt down good deals. Perhaps going through a Thailand/US travel agency would get the best deals. Of course, we'd have to figure out what exactly we all wanted to go and see. I'd want it to be a bit more laid back. I don't want a strict itinerary but I'd like to see at least a few betta farms, some beach resort areas and at least one "must see" place. I'm not even sure I need to see Bangkok. I wonder if there are betta farms in Chiang Mai?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #4 
shannonpwns

If you go to Thailand, it's almost required to see Bangkok lol!

I pulled that price from Priceline, and you're right, it probably will be cheaper to go through a travel agency. The prices on there that included hotels started at like 1800 for a 2 star hotel, up to 3600+.

I haven't travelled much either, and never outside the USA. But I want to!
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #5 
LizbethDawn

I'm in the same boat as Shannon. I'd have to find a baby sitter and I'd be going out of LAX but that would be fun. Depends on if I can find a job soon or not lol
I'd love the betta farms and if anyone would want to do hikes or nature walks I'd be up for that.

If someone wants to organize this we could probably get a good group rate from a hotel if enough of us went.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #6 
Stone

I am considering retiring to thailand lol, unfortunately thats still 20 or more years off......
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #7 
kimt

I lived in Thailand for 3 years. At best Thailand is a second world country. 90% of the population lives in poverty. Outside of the major cities and tourist areas, it is quite rural and heartbreaking. You would probably be appalled at the condition of the betta farms. There are no laws with regards to treatment of animals. We brought back a siamese cat who is only 5 lbs and never grew to a normal size because she was starved as a kitten to keep her small. Kittens sell better than adult cats so they starve them to keep them from growing. Human trafficking is very real in Thailand. I lived in a beach resort area and the beaches were gross. Even the local Thai people would not go in the water.

I'm not saying don't go. We loved our time in Thailand. I just want you all to be realistic about how Thailand really is.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #8 
karenluvsbettas623

I wish I could but that sounds expensive..... I'm still in college

My most expensive vacation has been a 400$ round trip ticket to mexico. Because I am Mexican-American , I have family there so I get free lodging, food and entertainment!

How much of a tease is going to a betta farm and not being able to bring any home!
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote