Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
PonyJumper101

pets unlimited rant/5.5 gal

trying to fight the urge to go rescue some more bettas....was in pets unlimited today (for the fifth time this week) and noticed that there were two dead bettas.....the water was brown and none of them were doing good. I was thinking of buying a 5.5 gal and splitting it in half for my two boys and taking home two more bettas. Would a 5.5 gal be good split in half? If so, what could I use to split it in half? None of the pet stores have tank seperators for 5 gal.
PonyJumper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Ooo, one of my favorite topics, tank dividers!

Based on my own experience, a 5.5 is perfectly find to divide in half for a pair of long-finned males. I have two 5.5s that have both been set up divided for quite some time without much trouble at all. I wouldn't divide it any more then in half, or divide anything smaller, but I feel split in half a 5.5 still provides adequate room.

As far as the actual divider itself goes, I follow the instructions here with a little twist of my own.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

MUCH cheaper and more stable then anything you'll find pre-made in a store anyway, I can assure you. But, I instead double up on the craft mesh and do a little more exact measuring and trimming so things fit nice and snug without that bend. Doubling up on the mesh gives just a tad but more stability to the whole thing and I've found it REALLY helps with the issue of males being able to see each other though the dividers. After putting several males in several different tanks made with the doubled-mesh dividers I noticed significantly less flaring and attention paid to their tankmates then with just a single-mesh divider and I've had far FAR less divider mishaps since I started doubling up on mesh.

Hope that helps some! And good luck with whatever you decide on doing!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #3 
Saber

I'm sorry the bettas were being taken care of so poorly there. =(

For a tank that size, you would probably have to make your own divider. There are many tutorials on the internet. You can get the supplies at your local Lowe's/Home Depot, and they will cut your divider to size in the store for a small fee if you choose to use a sheet of hard plastic/acrylic. Make sure to drill small holes to allow for water exchange between the compartments.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #4 
jeano

+1 to DragonFish I double up on the mesh also. One thing I do, is to bow both sides out slightly, add gravel in the middle and make it a little more secure. With it bowed like this, I have a space that I can add my water during water changes without disturbing the fish or plants on the sides
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #5 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeano View Post
+1 to DragonFish I double up on the mesh also. One thing I do, is to bow both sides out slightly, add gravel in the middle and make it a little more secure. With it bowed like this, I have a space that I can add my water during water changes without disturbing the fish or plants on the sides
Oh! A very good idea! I've never had much trouble with disturbance when refilling a tank(I've picked up my own weird little ways of doing it over the years I guess ) so I never really thought of that, but that is a terrific idea!
It also reminds me of how I used to see others split the back end of the double mesh and stick the filter and heater in between the two layers to offer a little extra space between the fish, distribute heat a little more evenly, and help with water disturbance without having to baffle...plus no way for fins to get caught in the intake!

I don't think a 5.5 would be quite large enough to do that and still offer a good amount of space for each fish, but jeano just happened to remind me of it. xD Just an idea to keep in mind if you ever divide a larger tank!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Ooo, one of my favorite topics, tank dividers!

Based on my own experience, a 5.5 is perfectly find to divide in half for a pair of long-finned males. I have two 5.5s that have both been set up divided for quite some time without much trouble at all. I wouldn't divide it any more then in half, or divide anything smaller, but I feel split in half a 5.5 still provides adequate room.

As far as the actual divider itself goes, I follow the instructions here with a little twist of my own.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

MUCH cheaper and more stable then anything you'll find pre-made in a store anyway, I can assure you. But, I instead double up on the craft mesh and do a little more exact measuring and trimming so things fit nice and snug without that bend. Doubling up on the mesh gives just a tad but more stability to the whole thing and I've found it REALLY helps with the issue of males being able to see each other though the dividers. After putting several males in several different tanks made with the doubled-mesh dividers I noticed significantly less flaring and attention paid to their tankmates then with just a single-mesh divider and I've had far FAR less divider mishaps since I started doubling up on mesh.

Hope that helps some! And good luck with whatever you decide on doing!
+1 to everything DragonFish said here as well.

My tank is a divided 5.5 gallon tank, with this type of divider (double-mesh). My boys have plenty of space and Dragoon doesn't mind the filter on his side (caught him lounging at the lip of it while the filter was running) and Merlin likes his heater on his side. Both still have several different decorations on their individual sides too.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote