Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #1 
Deanna01

NLS Small Fry Formula--anyone used?

I have been feeding my fry egg yolk mixed with water containing infusoria, and they seem to be doing well on it. However, some particles of egg yolk inevitably escape and mold at the bottom of the aquarium. It makes me nervous having to suck them out, because I'm certain I must be getting fry as well.

I've heard that fry will only eat moving food, but I've also read on plenty of reliable sites that feeding them egg yolk is fine, and that is certainly not moving.

I bought some NLS Small Fry Formula and tried feeding it for the first time today. It is "micro particulates" (powder), and I spread around only the tiniest pinch. I don't know if the fry were eating it, but I could tell that they were more active after I put it in.

Has anyone tried this and perhaps had luck with it? I'd love to know.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

I didn't have much luck with Hikari small bites-which is sorta the same thing. NLS is higher quality though.
You are going to HAVE to clean the bottom of the tank regardless. You don't want funk building up in there. You can reduce the power of your siphon by adjusting the height of the catch bucket. The closer the bucket it to the level of the fish tank the less power the siphon has. I promise they can take quite a bit up sucking up and squirting back.

I learned the hard way to keep the catch buckets clean. Rinse and disinfect with a vinegar rinse after use. It is a learning curve when learning good fish keeping for sure!

Live food is always going to be your best bet if you want maximum growth and the most survivors but I have been there and when first learning how to do it, live foods are a PITA. You really want to try as much non live food as you can at first but it really does get easy. Almost as easy as non live foods. After 3-4 spawns of slow growth and big losses you will see

For me personally, green GREEN water is the easiest for 3-4 days after hatching. It doesn't foul the water at all. Banana worms for 3 days after that only because they are slow and sorta just wiggle in place. BBS after that. I do one feeding a day of worms though. Mine seem to have swim bladder problems when fed nothing but BBS. Only a few but it still hurts my heart to watch them bounce off the glass because they can't swim right.

Just keep in mind where your fry are in relation to food. They stay very still and near the top for the first week so slow moving food that stays near the top feeds the most fish. They venture out more during the second week and will forage on the bottom but they are still slow and uncoordinated so food that hangs out at the bottom or very top and moves slow works well. Once they have the steering down better then you can give them whatever you want so they can catch it.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 
Deanna01

Yeah, I have an in-tank BBS hatchery, but I just can't tell if it's working. Have you used one of those at all?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #4 
Deanna01

And thus far I've just been getting the worst of the gunk on the bottom with a turkey baster. Do I need to do a real vacuum? I'm so afraid I'm going to suck up so many fry. :-/
Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

I made a vacuum out of tubing and rigid acrylic pipe. It just makes the job faster. You can use a turkey baster.

For easy BBS I'm using a 2-3 jar system for my BBS. It was just cheapest and easiest for me to deal with. This is mine:

I only have two spawns right now. These jars are 18 hours apart. 1/4 tsp brine shrimp eggs feeds both spawns 3 times. I keep my spawns on the small side-120 or so fry each.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 
Myates

I go with BBS - I do however have that particular NLS food, and have tried it before but the fish prefer live and wouldn't touch it. But since yours is used to egg yolk, you may be able to get away with getting them eat the food. But it won't last long, they are getting bigger and will need bigger/more nutritious food such as BBS.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

Swim bladder problems are often due to over feeding bbs in the 7-14 day period. Many new breeders over feed and can pollute the water as well. Really small fry like to munch on micro critters on the sponge filter. Become very adept at hatching, harvesting and how much bbs to feed the fry. A turkey baster is a breeders best tool.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #8 
Myates

So far I have never had issues with SBD *fingers crossed* And I agree, turkey baster is a must have for harvesting BBS!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote