Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 
TheOnlyCanvas

Overstocking?

So here's a couple of theoretical tank stocking set ups. Would they be overstocked?

5 gallon
-Divided with 2 female bettas, 1 mystery snail

20 gallon
-Divided with 2 male bettas, 4-5 mystery snails, and 10 ghost shrimp

Something tells me that this would be overstocking, but I wanted to get some other opinions! One of my favorite snail breeders is having a snail sale and I'd like to get a couple more so that I could put one in the 5 gallon, and the extra(s) she sends (in case of DOA) could go in the 20 gal with the 3 who are already in there. I don't want to push it, though.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I'd be a little hesitant about the snail in the 5 since they can produce quite a bit of waste and with two fish its already pretty fully stocked.....but if you really wanted to try it, just keep an eye on your params and be diligent with your water changes.

You're fine with your 20, however. Ghost shrimp put out very little waste so you could easy do a few snails in there if you wanted to, you've got lots of space to work with there. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I wouldn't put a Mystery or really any big snail in the 5 gallon just because they poop so much. So it's not a matter of space but bio-load and how much you'd have to clean the tank out with.

On the 20, I'd say a max of 2 snails. I believe you're only supposed to do 1 sail per 10 gallons anyway. But with shrimp you can pretty much have as many as you like! They're bio-load is tiny except for Amano shrimp and Bambo shrimp normally. The bigger the shrimp the bigger the bio-load, basically. But ghosties are small and so less poop!

Also keep in mind that Ghost's don't eat algae like other shrimp but are just scavengers for left over fresh food; not rotting food. Just in case you didn't know ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #4 
TheOnlyCanvas

I did know that about the shrimp. I learned very quickly. Sometimes I'll throw in extra pellets and make them sink and they fight over them. I have to make sure everybody gets one!

I won't get any more snails then :) I had only ordered two because I figured I'd put one on either side of the divider in the 20. The package came with 3, the third being a little bitty baby. It's gotten much bigger already, and it seems to be the healthiest out of the three. I had considered moving him/her over to the 5 gal, but I won't do that if it means too high of a bioload. I'll get some shrimp for it once it cycles though. They're so sensitive O.o
Thanks guys!
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I hear ya!

Sounds like a good plan though ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Yup! Sounds like you've got a good plan in place! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mystery snails, overstocking, stocking