Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #31 
Flyby Stardancer
Member
 
Flyby Stardancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
The way I do partial changes with my baby betta, I take an airline tubing, put an air stone on one end. Then I take a turkey baster to get out the bits of poop and skim the top, pull a siphon on the airline tubing, and just let that drain into a container that sits at a lower level than the tank. I can hold the tubing in place with the lid to that tank, so I'll place the top of the air stone at the level I want to go (usually halfway down the tank for a 50% change), and then just let it go! The water will only drop until air breaks the siphon, and then no more water will come out of the tank, and you can easily replace it with new water. :)

I also use a small aqueon gravel changer for my 5 gal tank. It's rated for 5 gal and smaller, and it was easy to avoid my adult boy with that, and he had no problems swimming near it.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #32 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
A few ways to acclimate
Check out #4 i do it during the summer it easier to do it this way.


Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

2. To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

3. When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, fill it with dechlorinated new water, and then turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water , then take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out.

4.Also during the summer when you don't need to use the heaters. I take them out from my tanks. I like to age the water for about 24 hrs. I just put water conditioner and let the water sit uncovered for about 24 hr and then change him. This way the temp of the new water is the same as his so i don't have spend a lot of time to acclimate him and stressing him out with all those water adding. I just really slow put a little bit new water in the cup once and let him swim out. And it doesn't matter when you put water conditioner before or after aging the water.

Give us update if when you buy another betta. Just be careful when you pick one, make sure he don't have any symptoms of the disease. I would also keep him in the tank for 2-4 wks without gravel and decorations just to make sure he is healthy and you not ending up with disinfection.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #33 
Catw0man
Member
 
Catw0man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Regarding acclimation....the only time you really NEED to acclimate is when you are putting a new fish into different water (e.g. you buy a new fish....don't know what water parameters he's used to, but assume they are different than your water....so you acclimate using one of the methods others have described very well here). Unless your water source changes for some reason, there isn't a need to acclimate each and every time you simply do a water change. I assure you, breeders and those who keep a lot of fish (I have over 100) do not spend time acclimating with each water change. The most important aspects of the water change (other than removing the "old" water) are to ensure the water is as close to the same temperature as possible and don't forget to use water conditioner!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #34 
Sassington
Member
 
Sassington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Deltona, FL
Thank you everyone... those are all fantastic suggestions and info.... I was doing pretty much what you all outlined minus the air tubing and turkey baster, lol... I don't know what I would do without you guys.. I learn something new every time I visit this forum. I just couldn't figure out how to do a partial water change gently with leaving him in the tank and not blowing him all over the place when pouring in the new water. If and when I get another betta, I will probably still leave out the gravel... it was such a pain to vacuum and I found it easier to forgo it all together. Easier to see the poop that way, too :)

And Catw0man, thank you for that tidbit on acclimation - I never thought about how breeders did it .. duh! Makes total sense. If everyone who had a large number of fish to acclimate, I guess they would never get anything else done in life - just 24hrs a day of acclimation! haha! Thank you!!

I'll let you guys know if I decide to go get another one.. I think since I don't have much going on right now til the hubs gets home, I'll go have a look at Aquabid.. I don't have the opportunity (ie funds lol) to buy anything right now so I guess now is the perfect time to window shop :) Anything I should know about Aquabid?
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #35 
Haleigh
Member
 
Haleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Carolina
I'm so sorry for your loss! I lost my first betta, Pontus Rex, in early June. I was absolutely devastated; I cried for days. After a few weeks, I decided I wanted another betta. I was worried I wouldn't have the same connection with a new fish, but I couldn't have been more wrong. My new boy, Emperor Catullus, is wonderful. He's different than Pontus, but I love him just as much.

Give yourself some time to grieve and then get another betta. This betta certainly won't replace your lovely boy Thomas. You'll learn to love again, and have a wonderful and unique experience with a new little guy or gal.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #36 
Juditko
Member
 
Juditko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
My tank is on a high dresser due to a young child in our home. For water changes or cleaning, of course the gravel vac will remove the water well due to the downward flow. The problem was replacing it. I bought a cheap fountain pump at Harbor Freight and some clear tubing from the plumbing dept at Lowes. At Lowes I also found a plastic J hook that's meant to be a pipe hanger. I turned it upside down and zip tied the plastic hose to it so
I could hook the hose securely on the side of the tank. I fill a bucket with conditioned water at the right temp with the pump placed in the bottom of the bucket with the hose attached. Then I go hook it up and plug it in. The flow is gentle and the bucket stays on the floor the whole time. The pump even has adjustable flow. The whole setup cost me $20.

FYI in case you need it. I have pics on my profile in the album New Tank...first three pics. I bought a mid grade pp because I needed about five feet of lift. It has really cut my cleaning time and effort and gives a safer flow for the fish.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #37 
Juditko
Member
 
Juditko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Pump, not pp. Stupid phone operator.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #38 
Catw0man
Member
 
Catw0man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassington View Post
And Catw0man, thank you for that tidbit on acclimation - I never thought about how breeders did it .. duh! Makes total sense. If everyone who had a large number of fish to acclimate, I guess they would never get anything else done in life - just 24hrs a day of acclimation! haha! Thank you!!

I'll let you guys know if I decide to go get another one.. I think since I don't have much going on right now til the hubs gets home, I'll go have a look at Aquabid.. I don't have the opportunity (ie funds lol) to buy anything right now so I guess now is the perfect time to window shop :) Anything I should know about Aquabid?
Here's all you need to know about Aquabid: it's addictive!!!! lol....that's where all my 100+ fish came from. But seriously, feel free to PM me if you need some more info....I'm pretty much an expert by this point....lol
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #39 
NeptunesMom
Member
 
NeptunesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Iowa
I thought I had already posted my condolences, but apparently I did not. I am sorry for your loss.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #40 
Sassington
Member
 
Sassington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Deltona, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleigh View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss! I lost my first betta, Pontus Rex, in early June. I was absolutely devastated; I cried for days. After a few weeks, I decided I wanted another betta. I was worried I wouldn't have the same connection with a new fish, but I couldn't have been more wrong. My new boy, Emperor Catullus, is wonderful. He's different than Pontus, but I love him just as much.

Give yourself some time to grieve and then get another betta. This betta certainly won't replace your lovely boy Thomas. You'll learn to love again, and have a wonderful and unique experience with a new little guy or gal.
Thank you.. I'm sure I'm not going to wait very long - I'm already looking at fish and set ups. I did make the mistake of telling my daughter she could pick out the next one but I'll have to sway her towards one I really like. We'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
My tank is on a high dresser due to a young child in our home. For water changes or cleaning, of course the gravel vac will remove the water well due to the downward flow. The problem was replacing it. I bought a cheap fountain pump at Harbor Freight and some clear tubing from the plumbing dept at Lowes. At Lowes I also found a plastic J hook that's meant to be a pipe hanger. I turned it upside down and zip tied the plastic hose to it so
I could hook the hose securely on the side of the tank. I fill a bucket with conditioned water at the right temp with the pump placed in the bottom of the bucket with the hose attached. Then I go hook it up and plug it in. The flow is gentle and the bucket stays on the floor the whole time. The pump even has adjustable flow. The whole setup cost me $20.

FYI in case you need it. I have pics on my profile in the album New Tank...first three pics. I bought a mid grade pp because I needed about five feet of lift. It has really cut my cleaning time and effort and gives a safer flow for the fish.
That's an awesome idea, too! I have a Harbor Freight store that just opened up about 10 minutes from where I live - I'l have to take a look at those pictures in your album so I get an idea of what I'm looking for. Thank you! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catw0man View Post
Here's all you need to know about Aquabid: it's addictive!!!! lol....that's where all my 100+ fish came from. But seriously, feel free to PM me if you need some more info....I'm pretty much an expert by this point....lol
Haha, uh oh! Another site for me to stalk.. I don't know if I should dabble there too much... Oh who am I kidding? I'll definitely be asking you for help on using Aquabid lol;) I did take a look at it earlier and it seems a little confusing at first glance.. I mainly just looked at the pictures of available bettas (there were some beautiful ones!) but didn't get much beyond that. Are the sellers pretty trustworthy there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I thought I had already posted my condolences, but apparently I did not. I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I'm better today.. I'm just glad he's not suffering anymore. He really had a special place in my heart and it was tough to watch him decline. =/

Last edited by Sassington; 07-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End-of-Life Care? Rana Betta Fish Care 8 06-02-2013 09:10 PM
Is life without pectoral fins a bad life? ILLBETHEJUDGE Betta Fish Care 2 01-03-2013 08:27 AM
at my wits end, please help! wulfie Betta Fish Care 14 04-28-2012 09:42 PM
I'm at the end of my rope. Sweeda88 Betta Chat 51 05-11-2011 06:11 PM
when will it end? rb500 Betta Fish Care 7 08-21-2009 01:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.