Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

Health of my plants?

I'm just curious as to how others think my plants are doing. The goal of my tank is med-low light, and low-tech. A 5 gal tank, 10 watt 6500K fluorescent bulb. Substrate is Eco Complete. My water is pretty hard, so I doubt that I'm low on any nutrient other than nitrogen. Currently the only source of nitrogen is a single betta, and the little bit of food that he doesn't eat (if it sinks too fast, he won't touch it). I hope to eventually get a clean-up crew of snails, however there's been some delay on that.

Species that I have, two types of Anubias, two types of java fern, Cryptocoryne wendtii, and a mystery stem that's probably in the Hygrophila genus. The java fern and stem came to me in rough shape. The stem was a bit melty when I put it in, and some of them have recovered, but most are still rather pale with some melty edges. The edges of the java ferns look a bit burnt (which was how they came), but have been producing baby plants on the edges of the leaves. The Crypts looked good when I planted them, but the edges have since gone wrinkly on me (you'll see in the pictures). Anubias have looked good this entire time, and one of them is even starting to put out a new leaf!

About a week after I added the stems, and a couple days after my tank finished cycling, the cycle went silent. Other than the day that the light timer malfunctioned, the N-tests have all been 0. (Honestly, them going to 0 was what I was hoping for!)

Anyways, the interesting part. Pictures!

The Crypt forest:

(Close ups here and here.)

And the stems:

And the Anubias, with the new leaf!

Because of where they are in the tank, it's hard to get a good pic of the java ferns.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #2 
Flyby Stardancer

No one?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well your plants look green, healthy and growing to me! lol lovin' the Crypt Forrest XD haha
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #4 
Flyby Stardancer

The crypts covered so much more area than I was expecting when I bought them! LOL And boyfish likes to swim through all the plants. I'm a bit sad that they aren't taller, because he's only just above the substrate when he's down amongst them.

I have some more plants on the way too, so hopefully those will be a bit taller! They'll go in that tank and a holding bucket until the next tank I"m setting up is ready.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh what kind of plants?

My Bronze Wendtii Crypts actually get pretty tall and tall being relative. Right now the tallest is standing about 5 inches almost 6 inches tall but with my lighting they're green rather than deep red but that's fine by me really, still good looking plants ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #6 
Flyby Stardancer

These are the green variety of Crypt wendtii. They haven't really grown taller since I put them in a few weeks ago... And I thought the stems would be noticeably taller after a couple weeks. Maybe there's just not enough nitrogen in the system for them to really grow? Heh.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #7 
Bounce

Your plants look good to me. Love the new baby anubias leaf!

Crypts are heavy root feeders and benefit from root tabs. I use them and can tell they make a big difference in growth.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #8 
Flyby Stardancer

I used Eco Complete for the substrate. It's supposed to be amazingly good for root feeders, lots of easily-available nutrients for them.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #9 
rickey
Banned

Crypt wendtii is a slow grow any time with low or no nitrate it will really be slow

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #10 
Flyby Stardancer

Well, there have been some spikes, and eventually there will be some snails to up the bioload, but I also added a bunch more stems... Heh