Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #11 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I emailed the company a while back (unfortunately, I've been searching for the post I did on this, and the email, but can't find either - if I find them, I'll post them) and basically they said that deaths occur because of overdosing or using the product for something it's not intended for i.e. treating swim bladder with one of their products designed for fin rot.
Like I said before, I can't find my post on this or the email, but as soon as I do, I will put it here.
I do know from personal experience how tea tree oil burns my own skin, and that is why I personally don't think it's good for fish.
I have my email from them and yep it basically said wrong med for wrong reason, overdosing, and that they are always esting and re-testing it on fish of all sorts
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #12 
cowboy

It was suggested by a 30 year fish store owner to treat my fish with bettafix or betta revive and Epsom salt. I told her the negative stuff I've read about bettafix and her response was not treating a sick fish is much worse than using bettafix. I tried it for one day and I took him out cause "I" was Leary of it. He had no reaction to it but I tried it once before on another fish and he started freaking out. The lady was standing by the fish she sold and was offering me a new one if he didn't make it so that must show how she felt the medicine would help. Her bettas are beautiful and are from Jakarta and Indonesia.

Both fish are still around

Last edited by cowboy; 07-20-2013 at 10:58 PM.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #13 
sassyfriend

I have very real proof I have had two bettas die and I only used a tiny amount. Granted they where already dying but that doesn't mean they didn't die from the meds. I just feel so awful about it!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #14 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
I have very real proof I have had two bettas die and I only used a tiny amount. Granted they where already dying but that doesn't mean they didn't die from the meds. I just feel so awful about it!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess fish medicine is the same as human medicine. Sometimes different fish have different reactions
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #15 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
This is not proof, this is sad this is tragic, but not proof, I have used AQ salt and had fish die so that does not automatically mean the aq salt did it, did you use the proper dose, did you use it to treat the right sickness, bettafix is basically like bactine sure it works for minor scrapes and burns but if that scrape or burn got a staff infection there is no way it would work, is that bactines fault for not working on something it is not intended to treat or is it my fault for for thinking it would?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #16 
Namialus

I haven't used it on my betta, and I won't just because, but I've tried it on my guppies and it just didn't work. So I stopped.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #17 
sassyfriend

I just gave a tiny bit. Wasn't sure what he had but when I told petco person how my other bettas looked he said he thought it was finrot so he told me to use the fix.

But I also know Ollie was old. I still really miss him and feel awful about his dying and death. He seemed to be suffering. I just wanted to make him feel better not kill him.

Just wanna know this wasn't my fault! I LOVED HIM SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

I have used Bettafix in the past on a female wild betta when she jumped out and did some severe damage to her slime coat and fins. I did not see any adverse effects from it. However, I also did not notice any definite improvement either.

I have had a betta in a tank where I have used actual melaleuca roots and also never saw any ill-effects from oils that might have leeched out.

I often think fish with serious ailments are treated with these products and when they die, the blame lies with the medication itself rather than with the fact the fish was most like dying before treatment even commenced.

The aversion to Bettafix is something I really haven't noticed all that much in Australia. A lot of breeders, hobbyists and importers use it here, and it wasn't until I became a member of a US based site that I read about its potentially negative side effects.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I've used pimafix at a half dose to treat a fungus. This was way back when I didn't know a whole lot and that fish really should have never got an infection if I had known how to take care of it properly. It did work, or at least, the fungus went away.

My biggest aversion to Pima/mela/betta fix is that there are way more useful and effective meds out there that I would rather spend my money on.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #20 
Stone

I will admit, bettafix/melafix/pimafix will not work on anything serious it is more of a first line of defense, like i equated it to bactine you fall down and skin your knee, you spray it on shortly after to clean and treat the wound, now if it worsens in 2 days obviously it is time to step up the meds and consider what to use next, I have around......80-100 fish somewhere in that ball park and everyday I inspect all of these fish as best I can and look for damaged fins, excess slimecoat and cottony/fungus looking stuff, now with all the species of fish I have some meds can not be used as a treat all in a tank catfish and loaches can be very sensitive to some meds, then I have assassin snails, nitrite snail mini yellow poso snails and an orange rabbit poso, ohh and some purple mystery snails and they too are in all but one tank, then I have ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp all of these inverts are very tricky med wise betta/mela/pima fix are actually safe for these guys, not many meds can say that so these meds when dosed properly and if you catch things early enough before a secondary infection set in can save a ton of time and hassle in my experience