Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #1 
NorthernLights

My fish has three pelvic fins!

So, in the course of examining Galahad's tail (which did eventually determine is a true double tail, they're both just so full you can only see them separate when he does certain kinds of turns -- his body appears to be normal length), I realised he has 3(!) pelvic fins. He generally keeps 2 on one side, and 1 on the other. Has anyone else seen a fish like this? Does this have any impact on his care?

I did notice a touch of shredding to his lower caudal fin this AM, so a frantically did a 100% water change, added equivalent of 1 tsp aq. salt, and some extra stress coat, and went over his silk plants carefully and found a bit of dried glue that might have been the culprit and trimmed it off). He's still not eating, but I am thinking that because he's new (Odysseus has always eaten like a pig from day 1, but I understand that is not typical).

Do doubletails have different needs from other bettas? I can't find much about this, except that they can be weighed down by their fins (nobody told Galahad obviously, he's active as can be), and that if their body is shorter they can be prone to swim bladder issues.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #2 
DoctorWhoLuver

I don't think they have different needs. Some bettas will have split ventrals/pelvic fins. I would hold back on the AQ salt unless he has fin rot:)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote