Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #11 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushcat View Post
My betta, Eris, had a problem where he was sickly and had bubbles coming out of his gills every once in a while. What cured that was an aquarium salt treatment and making sure his stress levels remain low. No one can really advise an exact treatment plan without that form filled out, but you're going to want to make sure you have aquarium salt handy anyway.

And honestly, if your filter is tossing your betta around or making it hard for him to swim, just skip it and make sure you do regular water changes (the right way!). You'll find plenty of articles on this forum about that!
Ohhhh aquarium salt! i didnt buy that when i went to petsmart today... oops and i changed his tank to plain 2.5gallon glass tank. no filter and no heater. temp is 78F right now. his pretty active compaired to old tank. i do reqular water changes 4days 50% water change. 100% water change every week. he is still bottom of the tank as usual tho
SingSangSung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #12 
DragonFish

Alright! So, lets see if I've got this right....

So far you have moved him into a standard glass 2.5 gallon with all fresh conditioned water and removed anything tape or paper or just generally non-aquarium approved yes?
If so, thats a good first step.

Personally, I wouldn't jump right into an AQ salt treatment just yet(though it does never hurt to have AQ salt on hand)....your guy is probably very stressed from being previously possibly poisoned, sucked up into the filter, and then moved to a completely new environment. At the moment, all I would say to add(or see if you can pick up if you don't have any already)is a little Stress Coat and maybe wrap a towel around his tank to keep things dark and quiet for him. It sounds like hes been through quite a bit recently.

Now! Onto some questions and a little advice...

Have you checked him over for injuries and damage from being sucked up into the filter? Does he have anything that you can see?

I assume you picked up some aquarium safe decor as well? What sorts does he have now in there? A couple nice, fluffy silk plants, enough to filly up a good part of the space, and a little cave will help reduce his stress a little as bettas do enjoy their environments to be a little more on the 'full' side in general.

No filter is a good move, especially if he was having trouble with it, and really in such a small tank its not necessary. As for the water changes, I'd suggest tossing in just one more 50% per week based on my own personal experience with a(presumably artificially planted) tank of that size.

How are you gauging the temperature? A stick on or in-tank glass thermometer? The stick on ones tend to be terribly inaccurate and generally don't read changes in temperature very well, though if you have a glass one thats not a problem.
I would very highly suggest picking up a 25watt fully submersible, adjustable('present' heaters tend to be rather unreliable)heater the next time you make a run to the pet store. While it is summer(I assume where you live as well?)the tank may stay in the acceptable range for now, but you also want to consider the day-night temperature fluctuations, which can be quite drastic depending on where you live, and the fact that water temperature is always a few degrees lower then room temp....so unless you can keep the room he is in a stable 83-86 degrees F day-night year round with no more then a couple degrees of change once in a while then you will need a heater for the winter months and if only to keep his temperature a stable 78-82 in the summer. Being able to keep his temp stable and within the proper range will also help to reduce his stress quite significantly while hes settling in and healing.

Is there any chance you can provide some pictures of him and his setup perhaps?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #13 
VJM

How are you acclimating him when you change is water? Does he stay in the tank? Are you getting the new, conditioned water to match his tank temperature before you add it? Water changes are stressful. Doing just the right amount to keep your parameters correct, but not overdoing it, is crucial.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #14 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Alright! So, lets see if I've got this right....

So far you have moved him into a standard glass 2.5 gallon with all fresh conditioned water and removed anything tape or paper or just generally non-aquarium approved yes?
If so, thats a good first step.

Personally, I wouldn't jump right into an AQ salt treatment just yet(though it does never hurt to have AQ salt on hand)....your guy is probably very stressed from being previously possibly poisoned, sucked up into the filter, and then moved to a completely new environment. At the moment, all I would say to add(or see if you can pick up if you don't have any already)is a little Stress Coat and maybe wrap a towel around his tank to keep things dark and quiet for him. It sounds like hes been through quite a bit recently.

Now! Onto some questions and a little advice...

Have you checked him over for injuries and damage from being sucked up into the filter? Does he have anything that you can see?

I assume you picked up some aquarium safe decor as well? What sorts does he have now in there? A couple nice, fluffy silk plants, enough to filly up a good part of the space, and a little cave will help reduce his stress a little as bettas do enjoy their environments to be a little more on the 'full' side in general.

No filter is a good move, especially if he was having trouble with it, and really in such a small tank its not necessary. As for the water changes, I'd suggest tossing in just one more 50% per week based on my own personal experience with a(presumably artificially planted) tank of that size.

How are you gauging the temperature? A stick on or in-tank glass thermometer? The stick on ones tend to be terribly inaccurate and generally don't read changes in temperature very well, though if you have a glass one thats not a problem.
I would very highly suggest picking up a 25watt fully submersible, adjustable('present' heaters tend to be rather unreliable)heater the next time you make a run to the pet store. While it is summer(I assume where you live as well?)the tank may stay in the acceptable range for now, but you also want to consider the day-night temperature fluctuations, which can be quite drastic depending on where you live, and the fact that water temperature is always a few degrees lower then room temp....so unless you can keep the room he is in a stable 83-86 degrees F day-night year round with no more then a couple degrees of change once in a while then you will need a heater for the winter months and if only to keep his temperature a stable 78-82 in the summer. Being able to keep his temp stable and within the proper range will also help to reduce his stress quite significantly while hes settling in and healing.

Is there any chance you can provide some pictures of him and his setup perhaps?
I really wish i can post pic right now with my phone but this website doesnt let me upload pictures with my phone. yes i bought 3 silkplants one submarian deco gravels at the bottom. i use in tank thermo floating one and i dont see any injuries. also today i gave him bloodworms for breakfast but he didnt ate them. does petsmart sell adjustible small tank heater? i couldnt find any cave for aqurium in petsmart. i will upload pics when i get home.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #15 
DragonFish

Sounds like the tank is decently full, thats good. Having places to hide will make him feel a little safer and less stressed, helping him settle in a little better. Right now though it may just be best to give him a little time to settle, hes been through quite an ordeal recently it sounds like.

If the silk plants are full enough, you may not absolutely need a cave, but as a cheap alternative if you can get to a local craft store little terracotta/clay pots make great caves. You'll want to either knock out the bottom entirely or be sure to plug the hole in the bottom with something like filter sponge so he doesn't get stuck, but otherwise they make great caves.

Being so stressed its no wonder he wouldn't eat, it may take him a little time. Keep offering him his usual meals, but remove anything uneaten after a couple minutes.

Yes, you should be able to find an adjustable heater at Petsmart. Look for a 25 watt one. they should have one in some brand or another, but if they don't maybe ask an employee and see when/if they'll carry them in that size.....if not, then you should certainly be able to order it online at Petsmart if online is an option. But really try and steer clear of the 'Present' non adjustable heaters if you can.

And just to clarify....he is now in all 100% clean, fresh, conditioned water yes? And you were careful about acclimating him to the fresh water?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #16 
VJM

You might want to try NLS Betta pellets, if you are not already. They have a hard time saying no to those, and they have some of the better nutrition around.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #17 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Sounds like the tank is decently full, thats good. Having places to hide will make him feel a little safer and less stressed, helping him settle in a little better. Right now though it may just be best to give him a little time to settle, hes been through quite an ordeal recently it sounds like.

If the silk plants are full enough, you may not absolutely need a cave, but as a cheap alternative if you can get to a local craft store little terracotta/clay pots make great caves. You'll want to either knock out the bottom entirely or be sure to plug the hole in the bottom with something like filter sponge so he doesn't get stuck, but otherwise they make great caves.

Being so stressed its no wonder he wouldn't eat, it may take him a little time. Keep offering him his usual meals, but remove anything uneaten after a couple minutes.

Yes, you should be able to find an adjustable heater at Petsmart. Look for a 25 watt one. they should have one in some brand or another, but if they don't maybe ask an employee and see when/if they'll carry them in that size.....if not, then you should certainly be able to order it online at Petsmart if online is an option. But really try and steer clear of the 'Present' non adjustable heaters if you can.

And just to clarify....he is now in all 100% clean, fresh, conditioned water yes? And you were careful about acclimating him to the fresh water?
yes fresh conditioned water. and okay i will get heater on Monday. I gave him pellets and he ate them all. I guess he doesn't like freeze dried blood-worms. and attached pics! I turned the lamp on, should I turn it off??
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #18 
VJM

I would turn the light off. Let him chill out for now. And definitely get a heater and a thermometer. Don't get the kind of thermometer that stick on the outside of the tank. You want one that goes inside the tank, and attaches to the tank with a suction cup.

Try to get an adjustable heater. It will have a dial on it somewhere to set the temperature. Bring his tank up to somewhere between 78-82, but only a degree an hour and no more than 5 degrees in 24 hours. If you end up getting a preset heater, make sure to keep an eye on the temperature, and don't let it get too high or go too fast. They are a problem, usually.

Good for you for giving him what he needs most- clean and conditioned water!
Freeze dried bloodworms aren't really recommended for bettas. Good thing he doesn't like them!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #19 
DragonFish

I've heard of some bettas snubbing the freeze-dried stuff, some are just a little picky about it. I'd suggest picking some frozen bloodworms up instead, I don't think I've ever heard of a betta snubbing frozen and over all its generally a little better then freeze-dried anyway in my option. No risk of bloating so long as you don't over-feed and all and then theres all kinds of controversy over whether freeze-dried even has any nutrition at all....best stick with what you know has some good stuff in it for your little guy if you ask me.

Yes, I'd turn off the lamp. You want to keep it dark and quiet around his tank while he recuperates, might even want to wrap a towel around his tank to help with that.

Its a good sign that hes eating though! Just out of curiosity, did he appear to swim alright when he was going up for the food? Was he at all stiff or seemed like he had some kind of difficulty swimming? Or did he just swim up as usual, eat his food, and settle back down on the bottom? Is he still breathing heavily and all like before or has that seemed to lesson/stop?

Over all that looks good to me, fish and tank both. And it looks like he can swim in and out of that little submarine, so you'be got your cave right there! ;)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #20 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I would turn the light off. Let him chill out for now. And definitely get a heater and a thermometer. Don't get the kind of thermometer that stick on the outside of the tank. You want one that goes inside the tank, and attaches to the tank with a suction cup.

Try to get an adjustable heater. It will have a dial on it somewhere to set the temperature. Bring his tank up to somewhere between 78-82, but only a degree an hour and no more than 5 degrees in 24 hours. If you end up getting a preset heater, make sure to keep an eye on the temperature, and don't let it get too high or go too fast. They are a problem, usually.

Good for you for giving him what he needs most- clean and conditioned water!
Freeze dried bloodworms aren't really recommended for bettas. Good thing he doesn't like them!
i already have floating thermometer in side my tank. and then i wasted my money on buying Betta dial a treat that included mysis, daphnia, and blood worms that all freeze dried.... -_______________-