Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #1381 
TheOnlyCanvas

I had a mishap today in which the female on the other side of the divider in the tank that Phoenix is in jumped the divider into Phoenix's side!

Both fish are perfectly fine - in fact they seem kind of sad that I separated them. Definitely scared me, though.

With small tanks you should be doing regular 50% changes at least for an adult. For a baby, the 50% a day or two sounds pretty good!
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #1382 
Viva

My two baby girls did that too, actually like 3 times. My cat would love to go up and mess with the divider and knock it over. Nothing ever happened and one girl was about twice the size as the other, lol. Now they live together in a sorority and the little one chases the big one around!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #1383 
miscanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
Pretty baby, miscanon!
Thank you! S/He's got some blue and purply-red on his fins now!
Attached Images

miscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #1384 
jeano

Tony Stewart is finally getting some color! Lots more color today than yesterday, and growing like a weed. He's loving his new moss ball and hornwort in his tank
Name:  IMG_20130720_203605.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  90.4 KB
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #1385 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyCanvas View Post
I had a mishap today in which the female on the other side of the divider in the tank that Phoenix is in jumped the divider into Phoenix's side!

Both fish are perfectly fine - in fact they seem kind of sad that I separated them. Definitely scared me, though.

With small tanks you should be doing regular 50% changes at least for an adult. For a baby, the 50% a day or two sounds pretty good!
If it was an adult, you should 100% water changes if it is 1-2 gallons in my opinion. You have to be careful with babies.
The same thing happened with my males. One jumped to the other side. They didn't fight. They just swam around with each other and explored that part of the tank. I separated them anyways.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #1386 
TiffanyP

Thought I'd post one more picture of Alaric - he's growing out of the baby stage and consistently makes little bubble nests above his leaf bed :) He gets to move into his mansion (5 gallon tank) when I get back from visiting home in 2 weeks! Do you guys still think he's a veil tail?
Attached Images

TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #1387 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
Thought I'd post one more picture of Alaric - he's growing out of the baby stage and consistently makes little bubble nests above his leaf bed :) He gets to move into his mansion (5 gallon tank) when I get back from visiting home in 2 weeks! Do you guys still think he's a veil tail?
He's only got two ray's so far so I think he'll still be a VT but there's a chance he could change and become a Delta or something!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #1388 
ao
TFK Moderator

heehee, they'll surprise you! mine turned out to be a mess tail!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #1389 
TiffanyP

When you say 'rays' what are you looking at to determine that?
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #1390 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
When you say 'rays' what are you looking at to determine that?
Take a look at the picture below. See the number's and then they're point to those things? Those are ray's. Each tail type has a certain amount of ray's like a VeilTail only has 2 ray's and you see the one in the picture is a 4 ray Plakat. Also known as branching, you see the base of the tail with the main ray and then it branches out into the different ray's there. So anyway, your baby only has 1 branch so far which means 2 ray's, hence most likely a VT. But he can still grow out to have both those ray's branch again to make 4 rays and again to make 6, then 8 and so on and so forth.

So when you hear the term "over branching" it means that that main ray has branched so many times that you can barely count the ray's at the edges, usually this ends up as a rose tail or feather tail effect.

But anyway, all VT's have 2 ray's. CT's generally only have 2 ray's but there are 4 ray's. PK's start out at 2 ray's and then can increase from there, going into HMPK which is usually 4-8 ray's and sometimes more. Then DeT's and HM's usually have around 8 ray's and up but there are some that are under 8 ray's and just have really good webbing between the ray's. You can see in that picture below too, the part that's between the main ray that comes from the body is called webbing. PK's are known more for having more webbing which allows them to have less ray's and still get up to HM status without having like 8 rays or more like most regular HM's.
Attached Images

lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta