Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #21 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I've heard of some bettas snubbing the freeze-dried stuff, some are just a little picky about it. I'd suggest picking some frozen bloodworms up instead, I don't think I've ever heard of a betta snubbing frozen and over all its generally a little better then freeze-dried anyway in my option. No risk of bloating so long as you don't over-feed and all and then theres all kinds of controversy over whether freeze-dried even has any nutrition at all....best stick with what you know has some good stuff in it for your little guy if you ask me.

Yes, I'd turn off the lamp. You want to keep it dark and quiet around his tank while he recuperates, might even want to wrap a towel around his tank to help with that.

Its a good sign that hes eating though! Just out of curiosity, did he appear to swim alright when he was going up for the food? Was he at all stiff or seemed like he had some kind of difficulty swimming? Or did he just swim up as usual, eat his food, and settle back down on the bottom? Is he still breathing heavily and all like before or has that seemed to lesson/stop?

Over all that looks good to me, fish and tank both. And it looks like he can swim in and out of that little submarine, so you'be got your cave right there! ;)
ohhhh i shouldn't have bought the frozen dried insects. :( He just swim up as usual for food or air and settle back down. I don't think he swims weird at all. When he ate one blood worm that I gave him, he's gill moved really big and looked like he will buff up and let out bubbles through his gills again. but didn't happen lol . as usual bottom of tank. only comes up for the air. ~_~ so I need to do 50% water change every 3 days? :O
SingSangSung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #22 
SingSangSung

I wraped this tank compelty with my black clothes! this works right? xD and not to move the desk i moved out of desk and sat on the bed~ how long do i leave him in darkness?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #23 
Juditko

You're getting some great help here and really doing well to help your guy. When he gets settled down a bit in a couple of days, I might add to check the bottom of each of the large plants if you can without bothering him. I bought that green plant and got home and discovered exposed wire on the bottom from the plant stems...which will rust and bingo, another toxin. I don't think it's worth upsetting him to check it immediately, but just an FYI when you get a chance. You have plenty on your plate at the moment and I really don't want to add to it, but I don't want for him to get well only to get sick again.

Why a silk plant has wire sometimes is beyond me. I had one from petco too with the same problem. Sorry about that. Just check it when you have opportunity.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #24 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
You're getting some great help here and really doing well to help your guy. When he gets settled down a bit in a couple of days, I might add to check the bottom of each of the large plants if you can without bothering him. I bought that green plant and got home and discovered exposed wire on the bottom from the plant stems...which will rust and bingo, another toxin. I don't think it's worth upsetting him to check it immediately, but just an FYI when you get a chance. You have plenty on your plate at the moment and I really don't want to add to it, but I don't want for him to get well only to get sick again.

Why a silk plant has wire sometimes is beyond me. I had one from petco too with the same problem. Sorry about that. Just check it when you have opportunity.
Ohhhhh wow wire in the slik plant!! mine is glude together. i didnt see any wire when i washed them and making sure waight and plant are glued togther well... but i will check it again just in case!! thanka for info :)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #25 
DragonFish

Yeah, frozen is some good stuff. Never had a fish refuse frozen bloodworms, though you'll want to just replace a meal with a few thawed worms 2-3 times a week or so. His staple should be a good quality pellet brand like Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum, though Frozen Blood worms, and Brine Shrimp too for that matter, can be great little treats to add a bit of variety to his diet. ;)

Sometimes they do puff out their gills when they eat, especially if they're eating a particularly large piece of something I've noticed. I'd say thats pretty normal.

Good to hear hes swimming alright, I ask because I had a fish that ended up in a filter mishap and though he didn't have any physical injuries(aside from a small piece of his tail torn), he did receive a rather bad internal injury to his back end and had a lot of trouble getting around afterwards. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of internal trauma that did him in a short while after as well, though it was also a VERY bad filter mishap.

Just 2 50% and 1 100% water changes within the span of a week, however many days in between and on what days you'd like to do them are up to you to calculate. ;)

Yup! So long as he has some room around the top where fresh are and get in through the lid a little so he can breath that sounds fine! Assuming you're somewhere in North America and are, therefore, within a couple of hours of me then I would say go ahead and leave him be for the rest of the night, then check on him in the morning and see how he is, offer him his breakfast and all and leave part of his tank uncovered. Hopefully within the next couple of days you'll see an improvement and with the new heater he should perk up quite a bit for you. :)

And on the note of the silk plants....I actually had a similar issue with some silk plants I purchased from Petsmart a couple years back, I found out later that there was actually WIRE in the stem, much to my horror and shock! Since I haven't found any wire in any silk plants I've purchased from either Petsmart or Petco, thankfully, though personally I do always like to check as well. Its never a bad idea to check! xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #26 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Yeah, frozen is some good stuff. Never had a fish refuse frozen bloodworms, though you'll want to just replace a meal with a few thawed worms 2-3 times a week or so. His staple should be a good quality pellet brand like Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum, though Frozen Blood worms, and Brine Shrimp too for that matter, can be great little treats to add a bit of variety to his diet. ;)

Sometimes they do puff out their gills when they eat, especially if they're eating a particularly large piece of something I've noticed. I'd say thats pretty normal.

Good to hear hes swimming alright, I ask because I had a fish that ended up in a filter mishap and though he didn't have any physical injuries(aside from a small piece of his tail torn), he did receive a rather bad internal injury to his back end and had a lot of trouble getting around afterwards. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of internal trauma that did him in a short while after as well, though it was also a VERY bad filter mishap.

Just 2 50% and 1 100% water changes within the span of a week, however many days in between and on what days you'd like to do them are up to you to calculate. ;)

Yup! So long as he has some room around the top where fresh are and get in through the lid a little so he can breath that sounds fine! Assuming you're somewhere in North America and are, therefore, within a couple of hours of me then I would say go ahead and leave him be for the rest of the night, then check on him in the morning and see how he is, offer him his breakfast and all and leave part of his tank uncovered. Hopefully within the next couple of days you'll see an improvement and with the new heater he should perk up quite a bit for you. :)

And on the note of the silk plants....I actually had a similar issue with some silk plants I purchased from Petsmart a couple years back, I found out later that there was actually WIRE in the stem, much to my horror and shock! Since I haven't found any wire in any silk plants I've purchased from either Petsmart or Petco, thankfully, though personally I do always like to check as well. Its never a bad idea to check! xD
I live in california :) pretty hot here since its summer lol and okay i will get frozen ones. i cant return already used frozen dried one right? :/ i will check the plants when i give him dinner today. cover only half? oh i cover the whole tank up xP thanks for great replies and help!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #27 
DragonFish

Ahh, you're only a couple hours behind me! Gottcha. xD Cool cool.
I'd say just leave him be for the rest of the night, like Juditko said no need to rush and just the plants immediately, just give him a couple of days to rest before you go messing around in there. Theres a high chance there isn't any wire anyways, but maybe just next time you give him a 100% water change it wouldn't hurt to give the plants a good once over again since you're already taking everything out during that time anyway. And on the off chance there is a little wire somewhere, I don't think it should cause a problem between now and then.

xD No no, you're good with covering the whole tank for now, just make sure he has a little room at the top so some fresh air can get in through the lid for him. Just tomorrow after you give him his breakfast maybe cover just half or perhaps two thirds of the tank. ;)

Yeah, pretty sure you can't return any kind of food once its opened. :/ Sorry.

You're very welcome by the way! Glad I could help some. :)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #28 
SingSangSung

Okay i forgot the air for him huh? lol i hope he periks up some soon! thanks again xD
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #29 
DragonFish

No problem! Glad I could help. :)