Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #1 
karbear625

Betta Stimulation?

All of my other fish in the tank died off except for my betta and he is really healthy, but he looks really bored. He eats 2 meals a day and he will beg for the meals. (it's hilarious) But recently I have noticed that he has had a lack of motivation. Mostly he just rests all day and he darts to the front when he sees somebody. I have tried putting pictures of bettas up on the glass and I have re arranged his tank, but nothing seems to be doing the trick.
We will be going to get some new fish sometime soon, but for now I am at a loss. I feel bad for my little squirt. What can I do to stimulate his mind and get him more active?
Attached Images

karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Some people have had luck by putting toys in. You can try ping pong balls, water bottle lids with treats in them, a mirror, a betta hammock or betta log, etc. You can also add new decorations and more things for him to explore. My female loves it when I add decorations to the outside of the tank - for example, one time I put a family photo behind her tank and she stared at it for hours, trying to look at it from as many different angles as possible. Anything different outside and/or inside her tank is very exciting for her - I'm not talking about rearranging, I'm talking brand new things - but since new tank decorations every few weeks can get expensive, I find it much easier to put different things outside her tank and she's always very excited about it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 
safisher

Karbear 625, your description sounds just like what our Delta Male, Kiwi, is doing. He gets all excited when someone goes into the kitchen (where we've located his Aqueon Mini Bow 1 tank) and LOVES when we feed him (6 Aqueon Betta Pellets - fed one at a time, twice a day) because he LEAPS at them, but lately he appears to be "napping" a LOT on the bottom of the tank, near a brand new plastic plant. I thought he was either bored or lonely so I held a cosmetic mirror near the tank for about a minute, thinking might like some "fish" company. (This is the first time I've ever done that) I don't know if it was a good thing to do or not. He darted all over the tank, swam up to the mirror and I noticed his gills almost stuck out perpendicular to his little head!! I got worried that I'd caused him distress so I put the mirror away immediately after that! He continued to dart around the tank for a short while afterward... like he was looking for "the other fish"

He's been recovering from an accident where he got himself wedged in an ornament, but that was two weeks ago and he is doing very well!!! His tail is growing back and other than " napping" a lot, he seems to be doing really well.

The only other thing I'be noticed is that he is no linger making bubble nests.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

Rearrange stuff in and outside the tank is good :) One of my bettas will flare at any pictures of horses, dogs, etc I tap to his tank. I also have some of my bettas flare at mirrors. Although they are solitary, some bettas will get lonely and giving them a mirror to flare it at might make them feel better. X]
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #5 
safisher

So when their gills stick out like that..... THAT'S flaring? It doesn't hurt him? I have to admit Kiwi was a LOT more frisky after that, but I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not. He has a new " house" (one that he can't get stuck in) but we're not sure he likes it, even though he does go in there to "chill"

I'm doing twice weekly water changes (25%) using PetSmart Betta Water and we use the filter that came with Mini Bow 1, so I'm trying to make sure all is well tank wise.

Do Bettas like to play??? Or is it okay to show him a mirror so he can admire himself and pretend he's he's the "big guy" in the tank? I probably wouldn't keep the mirror next to the tank for more than a minute or two.

Oh...the other thing I noticed (and forgive this being TMI) but when Kiwi was darting around while the mirror was out, it seemed to.....literally scare the...... ahem.......poop out of him! (Sorry for the graphic description). Would that be a sign that he was distressed????
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #6 
Namialus

New decorations, more things for him to explore, you can spend more time by his tank too. :P I'm sure getting new fish would stimulate him too.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #7 
karbear625

Thanks guys. :) I think next time I go to Petco I will pick up some more betta logs and stuff to connect and make chambers and cool stuff for him to explore. Even though it will probably look tacky, I think having a lot of tunnels and stuff to swim through would be good for him. I spend a while sitting there with him and watching him.
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote