Interesting, thanks for explaining
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #12 
jona31

you should totally fight for him goodluck
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #13 
RussellTheShihTzu

Since you want him for breeding, I would put in my highest bid and keep my fingers crossed. If he were my best option for breeding and there were no others that came close, I would raise my upper limit.

However, if you are at all concerned he might not be what he seems, I'd follow my gut and wait until another, better one came along.

JMO.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #14 
Darth

I would not pay over 10 dollars for a fish like this, that is the problem with the breeders throwing junk out all the time...if you are going to breed read up on it a bit, pretty does not mean good betta try to set a goal for yourself, look at what some experienced breeders are working on, ask many questions..if you are breeding this means you are not just standing by anymore, you are responsible for all the fish you are producing..so try to find something you can sell or give away easily. Mixed nuts are not the way to go unless you are trying to improve a strain or you are breeding grizzle or marbles and even then you want to produce fish with great form and not a lot of garbage washes and bad fins.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #15 
Ilikebutterflies

@Darth-Could you explain why you wouldn't pay much for this fish? I see you comment often on bad form etc. but never point out why. You are a very experienced breeder with beautiful quality fish and I'm sure your point of view can help educate newer breeders. Of course, an opinion is an opinion and if the OP just really likes that fish then by all means get him.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #16 
Deanna01

Some fish just have that spiky tail. If I were you, I would tell the breeder that you misunderstood his initial message and ask him if he has another male similar to this one--there can be a lot of fry in one spawn!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #17 
Myates

It does look trimmed.. they also cut their fins to make "bad" form look better for sale - he may be hiding something that will take a few generations to get rid of.

It all depends on your goal - if you want to show fish down the road from them I'd say no, as they have some issues such as short vents and the male has a lot of uneven fins.

Pretty color some.. but if you want more like him then you will need to get a female similar - the red/salamander coloring in the female will dominate their offspring's colors.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #18 
snowflake311

You Guys are all awesome here. Very helpful and nice.

Myates you are right if its the color I want then I better get a similar female. I asked the breeder for a female like this weeks ago. He said he had one and that was the last I heard of it.

I could tell this fish is not perfect but he is not awful? With work I could get some nice fish but it would take a few generation. The interesting and different color that he is will sell. it does sell people like it. Not everyone must have the perfectly formed fish lots of people just want a neat fish to look at. Some people just want a pet fish. I am not breeding to show. I am interested in breeding because of the genetics of it mostly. It has always been very interesting to me. I also want to breed healthy fish.

Yes Deanna I think this breeder has a lot of these type of fish. I just wanted to get one before Monday because I drive to pick up my fish from the transporter.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #19 
snowflake311

Crap there is now a new bidder the price is at $23 and we still have a few more days to go. I am out.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #20 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
Crap there is now a new bidder the price is at $23 and we still have a few more days to go. I am out.
Which breeder was he from? You could ask if he has any other similar males....and ask for pictures. Just wondering if he's from the same breeder as my fish; I actually have a very similar male! And I do love the color very much! Here's a pic of my guy, just to reassure you that there are others out there and there is a definite possibility of getting another male at some point if you opt out of the bidding war on this one:
Attached Images

Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote