Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #11 
Darth

Fancy is a word the breeders use to say "Mutt" it can have anything in the background...Koi are out of the marbles but, if you breed 2 koi you wont get that in F1 you will see Cambodian, butterfly, cellophane and bicolors a sibling cross will give you some, it is usually solids spawned to marble to see anything in F1....depending on the background how the marble gen expresses is trial and error.
The fish you show is a mix, it is a blue and orange dragon..this is the whole problem with mixing fish the breeders are getting away from the important solid lines to breed fish that catch the eye....so...you can see the importance of breeding solids, heck they are worth more now than ever.....If you want to persue Koi, I would get one expressing the pattern and avoid spawning to yellow because it will eliminate the red, avoid spaning to Cambodian or light bodied fish unless you want the black reduced..If I were going to persue Koi, I would get a red female and spawn to a Koi patterned betta Koi as a color is Black, White and usually red...so...you can also use a superblack female because she will also produce a multitude of colors in the F1.
I would not use Dragon in this mix.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #12 
Lamb

Thank you, a bit unfortunate, but thank you both. I'm emailing the breeder now. I was expecting him to be marble (fancy) and paid probably more than I should have. Fortunately I bought him on ebay, so I can open a case if need be.

I do have a red male... though I'm not sure what female to use. A black marble female?

Name:  AQUILA3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  55.6 KB
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #13 
sixcards

@Darth, So at which gen could you breed koi with koi? I want to also produce koi. So, very interested what you think.
sixcards is offline   Reply With Quote