Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #41 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Because I am experienced in fish keeping and columnaris doesnt suffocate fish nor does it suddenly strike the second medication is added to the water.
Well then just as I said I have used AQ salt on several bettas 2 of them died I am an experienced fishkeeper so this means I could not have made a mistake so the anecdotal answer is AQ salt killed my bettas, they had not died before the salt was put into the tank, for bettafix or more precisely the tea tree oil to coat a bettas labyrinth organ it would have to not dissolve into the water and you would see it floating there in a big blob then the fish would have to breathe that in. I am still inviting REAL evidence and not anecdotal evidence....as of yet I have seen ZERO evidence I have seen a few stories of fish dying and people blaming bettafix, and to note here is an article on columnaris if it gets into the gills it will damage them and cause the fish to suffocate, as well how columnaris is confused for fungal infections all the time, sometimes you actually need a microscope to tell the difference .... site http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Last edited by Stone; 07-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #42 
FishyFishy89

I don't know how you DON'T put this as evidence???

I stated I have treated bettas and other species with Betta-fix/mela-fix. And, I didn't state that they all has fungus. I said they suffered from minor issues LIKE fungus. Meaning, ailments that are easy to treat and not life-threatening. Which, let's see here, ranges from ammonia burns, fin rot, bacterial infections from injuries, injuries from tank mates or decor, etc etc. A good 90% of those issues are from fish I acquired second hand or got them for free from pet or fish stores.

If you don't think 1st hand experience like that is evidence.....then i don't know what to tell you. Perhaps there are bad batches? Maybe not so much of bad batches because each bottle I purchased or exchanged had resulted in fish deaths. Unless, I had really bad luck at the time.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #43 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I don't know how you DON'T put this as evidence???

I stated I have treated bettas and other species with Betta-fix/mela-fix. And, I didn't state that they all has fungus. I said they suffered from minor issues LIKE fungus. Meaning, ailments that are easy to treat and not life-threatening. Which, let's see here, ranges from ammonia burns, fin rot, bacterial infections from injuries, injuries from tank mates or decor, etc etc. A good 90% of those issues are from fish I acquired second hand or got them for free from pet or fish stores.

If you don't think 1st hand experience like that is evidence.....then i don't know what to tell you. Perhaps there are bad batches? Maybe not so much of bad batches because each bottle I purchased or exchanged had resulted in fish deaths. Unless, I had really bad luck at the time.
well for one you said fungus infections which is a gram negative infection, bettafix and melafix are for gram positive infections, so right there is the wrong med for the wrong condition, and the fact I do not see anything as a fact you have posted, again I had fish die after starting treatment with aq salt, so the aq salt killed them, and if you are getting fish secondhand or for free those fish are usually bad off, bettafix is for minor things minor finrot minor ammonia burns think of it as bactine, bactine works fine for scrapes and cuts, it will do zsro for a staff infection, and just so you know pimafix would be better for treating gram negative infections such as fungus, if you are not sure you can combine it with betta or melafix to treat minor gram negative and positive infections, they key word here is MINOR
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #44 
FishyFishy89

-.-

Again, these were minor issues the fish suffered from. They weren't suffering from anything greater than these minor issues.

Clearly you doubt everything.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #45 
Stone

No I don't doubt everything, there are usually muliple reasons and factors into why fish die, sometime we do not even know the reason, I once fed my fish in the morning before going to work, when I got home one of my bettas was dead I had inspected all of my fish before I left it's one of my routines, so the anecdotal answer as to why the fish died lets see, it's because I fed him is why he died, it's because I left for work is why he died, those are 2 conclusions I can draw from the evidence at hand in my statement, now when I got home and found him dead I inspected his body and found no signs of anything, I tested his water everything was where it should be and his neighbor in the divided tank beside him was fine, he was not stuck in any plants or on the filter, the water temp was 80 degree, so none of those were the problem, so back to the anecdotal answers, those are sounding even more solid, oh wait here is another key piece of evidence the betta was 4 years old.....the average lifespan of a male betta is 3 years, some can live up to 5 I have even heard up to 8, a lot depends on genetics and care, so my conclusion without lab tests was he died of old age. So I can either tell people to not feed their fish because it might kill them or to never ever leave them alone because they might die, after all the anecdotal answers seem really plausible, but yeah he was old and lived a good life

Last edited by Stone; 07-22-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #46 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I know how bad this sounds and there is little chance I will ever do it, I'm not suggesting it either, but I would be interested in an experiment that has fish in full doses and double (improper) doses of Pima,mela, and betta fix too see how they fare. That would put this to rest once and for all.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #47 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I know how bad this sounds and there is little chance I will ever do it, I'm not suggesting it either, but I would be interested in an experiment that has fish in full doses and double (improper) doses of Pima,mela, and betta fix too see how they fare. That would put this to rest once and for all.
I have used them all at regular dose to treat minor problems, not one fish has died, I have not overdosed that I am aware of, API tests their products on various fish all the time, I guess it is part of their continuing research to make their meds better/safer, but even doing what Matt suggests still would not prove anything either way, for one if we tested healthy fish everyone would say well thats because the fish were healthy they lives and if we tested sick fish and they died people would say well they were sick and thats why they died, we would ahve to do it scientifically with a 2 control groups one of healthy fish one of sick fish then a group of each to treat with a regular dose then another 2 groups for the double dose...... otherwise the data would be pretty useless
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #48 
Lotte

My experience with Bettafix:

For me, I treated Muse's ripped fins with a single drop of bettafix instead of a full dose since I was weary with all of the mixed reviews and tea tree oil coating labyrinth organ controversy. Within a few hours, I noticed that she had become less active and looked as if she was breathing heavily. I immediately did a 100% water change and she perked up instantly. Have stayed away from it ever since. Of coarse, this does not prove anything but the breathing part really scared me.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #49 
sassyfriend

Lotte, I say what you went through with you betta Proves it once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #50 
Ezzie

I guess i can be the one to "test" Melafix on bettas since i have started (from yesterday) using it to help treat Miltons ripped fins (not fin rot though, just the shredded fins are not showing any signs of regrowth)

He is in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank and after researching a lot of people seem to agree that 1/4 teaspoon is okay for this size. I also use a little prime.

I will be doing 100% water changes daily and after a week ill post the results (either good, neutral or bad)

I also set up a small air stone on a low bubble to agitate the surface since i noticed a fine oil covering the top of the water, could be Melafix, might not but it helps airate the water.

So far he seems totally normal.
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote