Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #1 
Graceful

How overstocked is my tank? Should I rehome my rasboras?

I have a 10-gallon filtered aquarium. It has many live plants and I do 50% water changes weekly, religiously.

It currently has 6 harlequin rasboras, a nerite snail, 4? ramshorns, and 2? pond snails. It used to have a betta, but he died 10 days ago.

I'm desperately wanting a new betta, but my nitrates are a bit high (25 ppm) so I've been waiting on it. I am trying to lower the nitrates with water changes, and I also just changed the lighting from incandescent to fluorescent. I hear that will help tremendously.

I love my rasboras, but I'm worried that my tank will be unhealthy if I keep too many fish in such a small tank. How overstocked is my tank, exactly? Another concern I have is the new betta. What if he's aggressive toward the other fish?

Should I find new homes for my rasboras? I would love to just upgrade my tank to a 15/20 gal, but a) I live with my parents and they likely wouldn't allow it, and b) I don't really have the space.

What is your opinion on the matter? Be as brutally honest as you like.
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

Try this:

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 
LizbethDawn

I would nix the snails honestly they have a higher bio load than the fish I believe and aqadvisor is a good tool bit it doesn't take plants in to account.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

I agree with LizbethDawn: It's a good tool. I particularly like that it takes into account your filtration capacity and whether it's enough for the bioload.

An interesting aside: When the developer of Aqadvisor asked plant-specific forums if he should factor in plants, he was advised there were too many variables to include plants.

He was advised how much plants actually help depends on whether high-tech or low-tech tanks, high light or low light, naturally planted or not, etc. Really interesting for anyone who's interested.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #5 
Micho

Is your tank not cycled? Or is it just having a random spike in nitrAtes?

Either way, I would not put a Betta in there, and bump up the numbers of Rasoboras to 8, they prefer schools 8 ~ 10. Prefrerably add the extra Rasboras when your tank water chemistry is stable.

Might wanna get rid of the Ramshorns snails, it's up to you. You already have a Nerite snail so algae is probably already scarce. Plus Ramshorns might eat your plants, if you have certain plants they will chew on them.

Also it'll lessen the bioload!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #6 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Is your tank not cycled? Or is it just having a random spike in nitrAtes?

Either way, I would not put a Betta in there, and bump up the numbers of Rasoboras to 8, they prefer schools 8 ~ 10. Prefrerably add the extra Rasboras when your tank water chemistry is stable.

Might wanna get rid of the Ramshorns snails, it's up to you. You already have a Nerite snail so algae is probably already scarce. Plus Ramshorns might eat your plants, if you have certain plants they will chew on them.

Also it'll lessen the bioload!
My tank is cycled. Ammonia and nitrite are consistently at 0.

Been thinking about getting rid of the ramshorns, yeah. I'm worried they're going to multiply. I haven't seen them chewing on plants, just crawling on them. What plants do they like to eat?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #7 
Micho

Ramshorns feed on unhealthy plants, meaning dead or dying ones.

They're not that bad if you don't overfeed them, you can keep the population under control. If you see a boom in population the likely reason is that something has died and they feasted on it or that you're overfeeding them with algae wafers or other stuff.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #8 
txbettaowner

Get rid of the snails. I have a 30 gallon tank with snails and they have a huge bio load. I had 10 bladder snails in a 1.5 gallon and I had to change the water constantly. They are small but have big bio loads. The snails are probably your problem. I am not familar with the other aquatic life you have in the tank.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #9 
Graceful

I think I'll get rid of my ramshorns only. I'm really attached to the nerite. He even has a name! Zippy.

Anyway, do you think anyone here would take them, knowing they're ramshorns? Isn't it kind of like duckweed in the aquarium community? Nobody wants it?