Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
ashleigheperry

SIP, Ellington and my entire community tank.

I came back from vacation and the friend who was watching my fish told me that my ENTIRE community tank had been wiped out. He'd been feeding my three tanks every two days and checking on my apartment while my boyfriend and I were on vacation.

I walked in, crossed the room to my tank and it's totally empty. Not one fish survived the vacation. The thermometer reads 100 degrees. His arguement is that it "never occurred to him" to check, though he knew our air conditioner would be off and I told him there was a heater in the tank. I'm devastated. One of my favorite bettas was part of the community along with my school of catfish and the group of platys I've had for several years now.

I don't think I'll be going on vacation again any time soon.
SIP, Ellington, Walter, Oswald, and the rest of my babies. I'm sorry.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

I'm so sorry to hear about Ellington's loss! -hug-
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #3 
Saber

I'm really sorry for your loss, that's terrible. I have read several stories on here about people who watch fish and then totally screw up even after you've told them everything. :(
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 
sassyfriend

I'm so sorry
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #5 
Lena N

Oh, it is terrible. Myself I was on vacation for 8 days in May and asked to take care about my fishes (two 5G tanks) our friend. One tank had heater in it and another had none. I asked to come 3 times during that time to feed them and add some water. They all survivide vacation, but one Betta died recenly because I was not careful.
Eheim Jager Heater is great, it never rises temperature itself. I have already 2 of them.
Sorry about your loss. Poor babies...
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #6 
ashleigheperry

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I'm hurt and frustrated, but the friend who watched them feels absolutely terrible after hearing what happened and has offered me compensation or replacements for my babies. Of course I declined. My betta are alive, if a bit worse for wear, and I'd rather just move on.

Currently stripping down and re-doing all my tanks to keep me busy and looking forward. Thanks again for the love, guys.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #7 
Saber

That's nice of your friend. Good luck with your new tanks. Share photos when you get them!

Also, off topic but your avatar made me laugh. Grumpy betta!
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote