Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #1 
Gtp348

Fluval Tanks?

These look nice but the way they're designed it looked like a betta might have a hard time surfacing for air. Has anybody tried one of these for their betta?

Gtp348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

I have a Fluval Edge II 6 gallon with a Betta in it No problem he knows where the open water is and can get out of the current in the still parts of the tank. But they are a pain to clean and maintain, that is the old Halogen light fixture which products lots of heat so change the bulbs to the LED replacements

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #3 
Gtp348

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
I have a Fluval Edge II 6 gallon with a Betta in it No problem he knows where the open water is and can get out of the current in the still parts of the tank. But they are a pain to clean and maintain, that is the old Halogen light fixture which products lots of heat so change the bulbs to the LED replacements

Rick
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Whats the deal with these? Do they have the filter, pump and heater included?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #4 
rickey
Banned

No heater had to buy a 25 watt, Every thing you need. Lighting is a little weak for a planted tank so stepped on that Fluval 13 watt 6700K compact fluorescent . I had to slow the filter flow way down, it will beat a betta up pretty bad. I use a intake sponge and a plumbers washer in the intake tube to cut the diameter to about 1/2 maybe 1/3 b, but all in all I'm pleased with it. I like the Fluval Spec III (3 gallon) and the Fluval Flora tank (8 gallon) better.

Rick
Old 07-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 
Gtp348

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
No heater had to buy a 25 watt, Every thing you need. Lighting is a little weak for a planted tank so stepped on that Fluval 13 watt 6700K compact fluorescent . I had to slow the filter flow way down, it will beat a betta up pretty bad. I use a intake sponge and a plumbers washer in the intake tube to cut the diameter to about 1/2 maybe 1/3 b, but all in all I'm pleased with it. I like the Fluval Spec III (3 gallon) and the Fluval Flora tank (8 gallon) better.

Rick
Do you have any pictures of yours? Did you buy the fluval brand heater? I was wondering if those were adjustable or what temp they would keep the tank at. I like to keep my betta tank around 80*f.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #6 
Micho

Hi hi, I have the Fluval Spec 6g too.

For the heater you can just buy a 25w adjustable heater, like this one I have.

It fits perfectly in there so no worries, you don't have to buy the Fluval one, any 25w heater would do fine to be honest.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #7 
Gtp348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Hi hi, I have the Fluval Spec 6g too.

For the heater you can just buy a 25w adjustable heater, like this one I have.

It fits perfectly in there so no worries, you don't have to buy the Fluval one, any 25w heater would do fine to be honest.
I've just had some bad luck with heaters. I had a tetra non adjustable 50w heater that said it would maintain a constant 78*f. It was rated for 2-10 gallons but It would only keep my 2 gallon tank at 72 tops. My betta ended up getting ick really bad. I cured him and eventually moved him to a 10 gallon tank with a 50 watt adjustable heater but since then I have a hard time trusting heaters. Its sort of weird to imagine a 25 watt being capable of heating even a 6 gallon tank.

Do you have any pictures of your tank micho?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #8 
rickey
Banned

EHEIM Jager heaters are really the most dependable but high priced (IMHO).
Visi-therm Heater at one time were good heater then were brought out by Marineland and quality way down. SO many aquarium heater are junk these days. and yes I have pic of may tank some were on my web site I'll look them up

Rick
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #9 
Deanna01

I have an Fluval Edge 12-gallon for one of my bettas, and he loves it--he goes all over the tank. He didn't have any problem finding where the surface was to get up for air. He is a crowntail, though, and not a huge-finned guy; I'm not sure if a really big-finned betta might be bothered by the flow there, but mine is not.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote