Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #11 
ANHEL123

Sorry for your loss:( I think babies bettas are more difficult to take care of.
I would disinfect the tank though if you going to rescue another betta. And also when you do full water change you need to acclimate the betta to the new water to make sure you don't shock him with drastic difference .
Do you need any tips on the disinfection or acclimation?
If you have another betta do not share any changing equipment from the baby tank in case he had some kind of infection.
Sorry not sure if you new to the fish world....so just another tip when you buy another betta just try to see if he don't have any symptoms of the sickness. Let us know if you need any tips. Good luck and also do not get discourage . It happened a lot, and probobly happened to all of us.
Also if you buy new betta you might just have him for a week or two in the tank without decoration or gravel to make sure he is healthy . Just so you not ending up to disinfect everything again.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #12 
rileysmum

Tips on both would be helpful! His tank has been emptied and has been sitting there :\ i still have a 5gallon with a female betta, a little sucker fish guy and 2 female swordtails, that tank has been doing well so far!
rileysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

Ok someone on this forum wrote this, and i agree with that but i am too too careful and paranoid so i always like to be safe then sorry. So that what someone wrote:

"A lot of aquatic diseases are sensitive to dryness so simply leaving the tank dry for a couple weeks will help sanitize things.

For everyday, basic cleaning, I use a combo of vinegar and boiling water. I don't have a set ratio but I would recommend at least 1:10 vinegar to water.

If you are sanitizing after a disease outbreak, I would do a bleach soak+through drying. Use a 1:10 bleach water ratio.''

It's easy to disinfect the tank , but it pain to disinfect the gravel and decorations, or plants. So that is why i always recommending to quarantine the fish, even if you don't put it in the tank with other fish. I quarantine new fish even if i see that betta is healthy , because you never know .....

Now abut bleach disinfection, i am going to give you the link. Check my post about the disinfection , but read it thoroughly before you do it. And remember to wash it a lot and let it sit to dry out to neutralize the bleach.

I did disinfect a few times with a bleach a while ago but i never disinfect the decor or gravel. When you read the post you will see the gravel recommendations. You CAN NOT disinfect the porous gravel with a bleach.

I did boiled the stones before long time ago and then dry them in the son for a few days , but some people saying that stones can burst while you boiling them, so be careful if you decide to do it. And if you will boil them let them to cool down completely before you spill the water out.

Check out also my post #7

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=2036738

Last edited by ANHEL123; 07-23-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

forgot about acclimation instructions
Post #26
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=158401&page=3