Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #1 
Betta Adventures

bettas bubblenesting during storms

I'm writing an article on different storm bubblenest theories. I've noticed that with a lot of bettas they bubblenest before or during the storm. I thought it was really interesting to read on some of the theories and put them together in one article.
I've read that bettas bubblenest before a storm because they can sense the storm coming.
I've heard that they know a storm means that the water levels will rise which means more food will wash up. So they build a bubblenest preparing to mate because the babies will have enough food.
I've also heard it's completely instinctual and they just do it.

Do any of you have any theories you've read about that you'd like to share? I'm really interested in all of these theories, they're pretty interesting.
Betta Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I don't have any theories, but when my male is feeling well, he only makes bubble nests the day before a storm. The bigger the nest, the bigger the storm.
He's struggling with chronic SBD, so he hasn't been building any nests lately because it's so hard for him to stay at the surface without sinking.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

There's a shower going on right now, my betta is working on his bubblenest slightly. I guess Sainthogan's theory worked with mine, my betta's nest is pretty small. And so is the storm tonight.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 
Saber

One of my males was dutifully building a nest yesterday, and it is raining tonight. I'm not sure if its true or not, but its still really neat. I wonder how they know?
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #5 
Lucubration

Wow, now that I think about it, last week before we had three days of downpour, I woke up and my betta had made his first bubble nest. Since then I've seen no evidence of a bubble nest at all and I had wondered what changed: the weather!

Edit: But I've no theories on why.
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 
Betta Adventures

It's pretty interesting to think about. During the stormy season I always wake up to or walk in on all of my males building bubblenests. At first I thought it was coincidence but it happened so much right before the storm. I'm curious how they know too. Hopefully others see this post and chime in on their thoughts as well.
Betta Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote