Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 
snowflake311

Is my girl a hmpk?

I think I bought her as a hm. But she turned out to be nothing like the photo that was said to be her. The breeder had the same fish listed 2 times. I hope she is a hmpk because I am over the long fined fish. I want to breed her to a hmpk.

She is very very active, also is a feisty thing too. Her anal fin is shorter and rounder then hm females I see. Seeing that the breeder did not give me the fish that was in the photo she could be anything.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

Yes she is a HMPK. An amazing looking one too.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 
shannonpwns

Wow she is gorgeous! I love that white spot on top of her head, or is that a scar? Either way, it gives her character! She looks like a HMPK to me, but I'm no expert, just been reading and studying up a lot on them recently, as I just bought one myself. I'm getting more into the short fins myself also.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #4 
snowflake311

thanks she is a cute fish and I want to find her the right male. That is spot is the scales being a different color not a scare.

I am thinking of breeding her to a Fancy HMPK.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

Have you calculated how much it will cost to breed and raise 200+ fry?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #6 
snowflake311

I do not plan on raising 200 fry. I would be luck to get 50 fry worth keeping to sell. I plan on culling the bad ones and letting nature take it's course with the weak. I have done LOTS of research on breeding over the years. In fact I have been looking into it for over 10 years. I have been keeping fish for around 16 years. I have collected many tanks and stuff over the years.

Breeding can't be more then I have spent over the 16 years on my 5 fish tanks(I have spent a few thousand, I rather not think about it ). I plan on selling my fish in hopes to break even with breeding cost. If I don't break even so what fish keeping is my hobby and always has been.

I am almost 31 and feel it's now or never. I feel I could raise some fry. I even have a fish room ready to go with racks. This would not be my first time breeding I have bred angle fish, cory cats, and other cichilds. Just never betta fish. 16 years of keeping fish has brought me to this.

The main cost concern is the heating bill in the winter time. I plan on using a space heater for my fish room and that will not be cheap. Lucky for me husband is being very supportive of my dream. My 4 year old daughter is excited about breeding bettas too. It's so cute.

So yes I have thought it all out. The money is not the thing it's the raising fry that stresses me out. It is a lot of work. I raised cory cats and that was a stressful adventure I learned a lot.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #7 
txbettaowner

Okay. You beat me then lol I have only had cats as pets until November of last year.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
Okay. You beat me then lol I have only had cats as pets until November of last year.
Fish keeping in general is very expensive over time.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 
txbettaowner

Yes it is.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #10 
Aluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
Fish keeping in general is very expensive over time.
Wait till you get into shrimp breeding... thousands over 15 years is nothing to the thousands over 9 months on shrimps breeding i am at right now, lol.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote