Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Why did you decide to become a breeder? Q2-Why not breed a petstore fish?

I look at some of my fish sometimes and I am tempted to try it. I have female crowntail with dark purple fins. However it seems like no one likes crowntails.

I have a female and male that are unrelated that sure look like they could be. They would not be show fish but probably consistent in coloring ect and some fish will probably have nice fins. I noticed how alike they looked after the female (aquabid) gained her true colors I showed Ollie (petstore fish) the female in a container outside the tank (curious to his reaction). It was pretty funny he looked her over, swam by a few times and promptly swam quickly to the back of his tank and hid. He would not come out until she was gone.

I think about the culling (not sure I could do it), the rehoming and the reason I got into bettas was the sad conditions I've seen them in. Either way I know am not in a position to breed at this junture. I do appreciate the time and cost involved. Right now I am trying to learn to be satisfied with the fish I have.

I can see the curiousity thing. That is what I feel curiousity. The process and seeing the outcome seems fascinating. I would like to have another Gen- Ollie he is a wonderful fish and they don't live forever. However, some fish don't even live through the breeding process. They get can be killed. I would feel awful if that happened.

Anyway, if you decided to become a serious breeder what made you want to breed? Do you feel that some people get started into it for the wrong reasons? I've been surprised by some posts by some people in this section that seem like no forethought or research was done before breeding.

Some people criticize people for using pet store fish to breed. What is wrong with it? I am not sure the quality is much better.

I recently bought some fish off AB fortunately they are meant to be pets not breeders. One has deformed ventral fin you could not see in the pictures. The breeder didn't mention it I felt he should have (would you rate him badly?). He's an EE I paid a pet store price no big $$ and he's charming. I was annoyed but he's a nice purple fish which was part of the goal. I could not get his color locally. I will enjoy him. I've seen some beautiful EE's at Petco that I think could breed nice fish. I've seen some really nice fish locally so why do some people object to this?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #2 
Lamb

I look at some of my fish sometimes and I am tempted to try it. I have female crowntail with dark purple fins. However it seems like no one likes crowntails. It's not that people don't like crowntails, they are just harder to breed certain colors and patterns.

I have a female and male that are unrelated that sure look like they could be. They would not be show fish but probably consistent in coloring ect and some fish will probably have nice fins. I noticed how alike they looked after the female (aquabid) gained her true colors I showed Ollie (petstore fish) the female in a container outside the tank (curious to his reaction). It was pretty funny he looked her over, swam by a few times and promptly swam quickly to the back of his tank and hid. He would not come out until she was gone.

I think about the culling (not sure I could do it), the rehoming and the reason I got into bettas was the sad conditions I've seen them in. Either way I know am not in a position to breed at this junture. I do appreciate the time and cost involved. Right now I am trying to learn to be satisfied with the fish I have. It's necessary to cull deformed fish. Some people also do for color, but most just cull the deformities.

I can see the curiousity thing. That is what I feel curiousity. The process and seeing the outcome seems fascinating. I would like to have another Gen- Ollie he is a wonderful fish and they don't live forever. However, some fish don't even live through the breeding process. They get can be killed. I would feel awful if that happened. Breeders are supposed to keep a close watch, and intervene if they have to, and understand the behavior of their betta. Tragedies do happen though.

Anyway, if you decided to become a serious breeder what made you want to breed? Do you feel that some people get started into it for the wrong reasons? I've been surprised by some posts by some people in this section that seem like no forethought or research was done before breeding. I think that was a little off putting to say something like that. Most people post here to get an idea of what to look for in a pair or what kind of outcome they would have with a certain pair.

Some people criticize people for using pet store fish to breed. What is wrong with it? I am not sure the quality is much better. The quality is very low with pet store fish, they have too mixed genetics, the colors aren't clean and they often don't have good form. The point of breeding is to improve the fish.

I recently bought some fish off AB fortunately they are meant to be pets not breeders. One has deformed ventral fin you could not see in the pictures. The breeder didn't mention it I felt he should have (would you rate him badly?). He's an EE I paid a pet store price no big $$ and he's charming. I was annoyed but he's a nice purple fish which was part of the goal. I could not get his color locally. I will enjoy him. I've seen some beautiful EE's at Petco that I think could breed nice fish. I've seen some really nice fish locally so why do some people object to this? Depending on what you're breeding for, you either want a fish with good form and/or for a certain color. For show purposes, clean colors (which can't be achieved with your usual petco/petsmart fish) is what people shoot for. You don't know where they came from, or what they would produce.

Last edited by Lamb; 07-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

I am not a breeder (so I can't say "why I became one" ), but there are people who breed pet store fish (it actually seems quite a few have done it at least once or twice). I think it comes down to whether or not someone is able to find what they are looking for in their pet store. Most pet store fish are bred for quantity not quality, making it very unlikely that you would find one worth breeding.

Lamb's post and your post made me wonder something that i think aligns with your post. How do you know for certain the fish you purchase is the fish you get? Growing up in the horse world with Arabians and Miniatures, we DNA horses to ensure horses are who they are supposed to be. When the Arabians and Miniatures started requiring DNA it was found that many horses were not who they were supposed to be. Even top stallions, who were supposed sons of so and so... were not. How is that prevented in fish? If you purchase a nice looking fish, because you like the genetics, how do you ensure that it's not from a crappy line (but is being presented as from a quality line), but just happened to strike the genetic jackpot itself?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #4 
Lamb

I have been told, that the more reputable breeders keep logs of all the spawns, and so if you purchase one from a breeder, they should be able to give you at least a generation if not more of where that fish came from. Other than that I'm not sure if there is any true way to tell.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

+1 NeptunesMom.

My experience is with dogs. Breeders keep records for them, too, but DNA showed many weren't accurate. After DNA testing was obligatory there were many red faces. But you know which dogs had the most pedigree inaccuracies? Or the dogs delivered weren't the dogs advertised? The imported ones.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-22-2013 at 11:18 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I became a breeder because I had loved these fish for a long time and I wanted to take the hobby to the next level.

(For this section, culling is synonyms with killing and not other means of getting rid of fish) You're not the first person to be scared off because of culling. The way people talk and act, it seems like you HAVE to cull to be a breeder. This is not actually true, despite what people may tell you. I'm sure you understand that in cases of extreme congenital deformities it is more ethical to put the fish down, but these are relatively rare. It is completely unnecessary to kill healthy fish. It's actually fairly cruel IMO to kill a healthy fish that doesn't have perfect form or color. In cases of larger spawns, you can gently remove eggs from the nest when you take out the female... They aren't developed enough to feel anything at that stage.

There is nothing wrong with breeding petstore fish if you are willing to deal with mixed, possibly unpredictable genes and the slightly greater likelihood of disease. That, and they often have much lower quality form then a well bred fish would. That being said, I have three petstore fish that I am planning on breeding (to higher quality AB females) in the future. Lol.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Well said, Matt.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 
PetMania

Pretty much it's because you don't know the background of the fish. If you want to make money, you will need to spend money on a really good breeding pair. If you just want to do it for fun, go ahead, but realize that you could end up with hundreds of babies!
Honestly, I don't see why petstore fish are mythed to be un-breedable.
I would pay good money for a nice crowntail.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I breed because I love watching them come to life and grow to later reproduce. I have bred several fish and birds. But my true passion is betta. I don't really like culling but when dealing with hundreds or even thousands, sometimes it must be done.

Pet store fish are frowned upon because they are basically the "culls". Further they are often genetically too mixed up that it would take many generations to make them "pure". But I have nothing against breeding them - it all depends on your goal. If you plan to produce showable specimens, it would be best stay away from pet store fish until you understand more about their genetics. If your goal is to only create pets, then, by all means breed them. What is important is that you have a plan and can rehome your fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote