Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #11 
Goodbettabest

Just an update....Genghis is showing more symptoms. He has become very thin although he eats like a pig. He is still finding it very difficult to swim and tires very easily. He is not bloated at all. I saw him poop this morning and it was very stringy and quite pale although not white. Could i be dealing with an internal parasite or bacterial infection? Coincidentally one of my bettas that passed recently had the same symptoms except he also had very very bad bloat & constipation.

Cho 's fin rot is proving very stubborn but i'll just keep up the treatment. Does anyone know the maximum amount of time tri-sulfa can be used for? It doesn't say anything about it on the packaging, just says treat &then treat again 3 days later if required. Also is it ok to use the aquarium salt treatment simultaneously with the sulfa drug to really try and knock it on the head?
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Ghengis - API General Cure (Metronidazole and Praziquantel) is a good antiparasitical medication. It treats the majority of aquatic parasites.

Some people have had good success soaking pellets in the General Cure, too. Soaking the food brings the meds internally, which is where the parasites are located.

Chi - How many days have you used the Triple Sulfa? I would not use aquarium salt with it, as this would put a lot of stress on him. To use Triple Sulfa, add the meds to the tank. Three days later, do a partial water change. If needed, you can then redose or switch to a different antibiotic.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-16-2013 at 09:23 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #13 
Goodbettabest

Apparently API general Cure is not available in Australia. I can try and find something that does the same job but so far all I've been able to find is medication for internal bacterial probs.

I have given Cho 2 doses of the tri sulfa so far but he still seems to have blood on the edges of his fins. I may try once more and then maybe switch to AQ salt instead? Just don't know which is hardest on him, the sulfa or the salt
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #14 
Goodbettabest

Update! After a very, very rough patch where Genghis in particular did not look like he would make it i am happy to report that both Genghis & Cho are now doing great. A switch to a top quality pellet worked wonders. Will post updated pics shortly