Betta Fish Forum banner

Penn Plax silk plants?

664 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Lotte 
#1 ·
Right now, petco.com is offering free shipping with no minimum purchase if you enter the code 'fspals' at checkout, therefore I'm ordering a massive amount of things. I'm debating whether I should buy some silk plants from Penn Plax or from the Petco brand. Has anyone ever 'dissected' Penn Plax silkies and found wire? Any good or bad experiences with their silk plants?

#2 ·
I haven't had any Penn Plax silk plants, but I have 'dissected' the Petco brand and found that they are alright. I have used them a lot in hospital tanks and they have worked just fine. :)

#3 ·
I see, I'll definitely try Petco's silkies then. Thanks! :)

#5 ·
Warning I had one petco plant that did have wire. It was a small betta plant with magenta leaves. I tore it down, removed the stems, and reconstructed with a glue gun and some plastic stems I had. I discovered it when I cleaned the tank and there was rust on the bottom. The other plants I got from them have been fine.

I bought the bright green silk amazon sword from petsmart and had the same problem but fortunately caught it and took it back.

#6 ·
What do you guys think of this one? Just ordered it. Figured if it did have any metal I could tweak it. The base looks promising but I don't know. Welp, it's a win-win situation in a way anyway.

#8 ·
The Petco silk plants appear to be virtually identical to the Blue Ribbon Vibran-Sea silk plants. I am not sure if they are made at the same factory, but I suspect the answer is yes. I have a Vibran-Sea fern in Odysseus' tank and in Galahad's tank is the fern from Petco...the leaves are exactly the same cut, size, color pattern, etc. They also have a few smaller ones than the kind I could get off Amazon. The only thing that does look different is the base -- the Vibran-Seas have a hot pink base and Petco's have a natural looking base.

By the Petco silk plants, I do not mean the small plants in the betta section that are labelled for betas. Those are ok, too (I think), but they are not as soft, and not very high quality, IMHO. I own a couple of those, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.