Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #31 
AltheaGlyndwr

~Update~

My friend's baby betta Eleven has improved so much in the last week I am so proud! He finally started to eat when I visited him again the other day, I tried crushed Omega One Betta pellets and flakes and frozen blood worms. It was great. He should start to heal more quickly now. They told me he has been swimming around all the time since the first water changes. Awesome!

I've set my sorority release date for the 28th after I get off work. I don't work that next day so I should be able to supervise them and I work later the day after that. Anyway, Lulah's (previously Layla... I decided to change it.) dorsal fin is so well healed you can't tell it was ever even torn and her tail hole is almost to the very edge. As of this upcoming thrusday, all the sorority girls will be proclaimed healthy. yay!

Although my plants in my sorority tank are curling at the ends of their leaves (the anubias) anyone know why that could be? I got seachems flourish thursday. Also have an adjustable heater, don't remember if I already stated that. A photoshoot shall commence sometime very soon!

Mayim, my little tail biter, has almost a quarter of an inch of regrowth on his fins already! I am SO excited! :D My little man is doing so great~~

Alexa, my baby betta, just keep growing and growing. I've had her for a month today! Yay~~ I tried feeding her a whole Omega One Betta pellet today but she couldn't quite get it so she still has a bit more growing left to do before she is ready for sorority life.

Also... I have some new news...

So I was at Petco to check out the prices for heaters right? Well... the last couple times I've been in there has been this 3/4 inch white baby who wouldn't stop looking at me. I've ignored it for the most part because I feel like I've got too many fish in too many different places for the time being. Well there were two very wonderful adult halfmoon males who were begging me to bring them home. One would not stop flaring at me, responding and just interacting with me to an extent I've never seen in a betta. Well... I couldn't allow myself to get either him or the gorgeous white halfmoon because they were $14 and I didn't have that... As much as I wanted to bring that flaring man home... I hate that I had to leave him, it breaks my heart and I only spent like 10 minutes with him!

Anyway, I was just barely stopping myself from bringing him home despite his cost, like I had him in my hand and argued whether to take him up to the counter... I looked back at all the other sad bettas. That white baby would not leave me alone. HE was only $1.99... I could take care of HIM and help HIM grow and have a good life... Mr. I won't stop flaring BRING ME HOME but I'm $14 couldn't beat that. No matter his personality. So I brought the baby home. I think its a boy but I have no idea and I don't care, the other man WILL find a home. Baby nopw has the chance at a good life and the ability to grow as big at it can. I'm really hoping for a boy but I don't really care either way. When I shined a flashlight over him his entire body and fins shined with teal coloring, his ventrals are bright red though. I will be so thrilled if it is teal like the sheen. In any case, it is much happier, fuller, and warmer.

But I won't forget you Mr. Flare. You are amazing. If I didn't live with my mother who would actually notice another full grown gorgeous male and his tank and I had the extra $14... I would bring you home. Please impress someone who knows how to care for you!

I am super satisfied with baby though... I'm smitten.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #32 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm glad to hear about Eleven!!

Good luck with the sorority release! I'm sure it will be just fine!

Oooh, can't wait to see the new baby!!! !!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #33 
AltheaGlyndwr

Omg~ You have no idea! My brother's girlfriend who likes fish but got tired of how often I talked about my bettas took one look and girlie-squeel-freak-out. It was hilarious and very satisfactory! I am guestimating approximately 5+ weeks for this little guy! Can you see their ovaries at any age if they are female if you look hard enough? Or is there an age that you can really start to see them around? I see absolutely nothing behind his full tummy. Alexa is getting jealous! She hears me say baby~ the same way I say/said it to her for weeks and she starts flipping out. It's kinda adorable, I have their tanks right next to each other and they have spent time checking each other out. Also, baby is starting to understand exactly where the food drops from so he knows to head over there after I come around. He even goes when I'm not giving food! Poor dear, lol. Both of them are such beggars! You'd think I starve them if you couldn't see their full bellies XD The baby doesn't appear to care about the bushy silk plants that are in his little home, he just kinda goes everywhere and never really stops. But maybe he only sleeps when the lights are out? Hmm...

Oh and I am super relieved about Eleven too.. I was concerned about him maybe going into shock or something... but no, he's good now.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #34 
AltheaGlyndwr

Also, his back is arched oddly/extremely. Maybe that is why he was culled if that is truly how we get them babies? I'll get pics up within the next few days!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah most likely why he was culled, bent spine. My boy Steve has the same arched back but my other baby is fine so not sure why he was culled
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #36 
AltheaGlyndwr

Yeah, I have no idea why my first one was culled... she's gorgeous! I also and not entirely sure but... her fins appear to be forming crowntail appearance. Maybe she's one! XD
Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awesome! I had thought my boy Tony was going to be a CT when he was a baby and now I have no idea what he'll be lol, he's still got lots of growing to do though
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #38 
AltheaGlyndwr

So I've heard mention of a certain number of rays in a bettas fin that are in specific tail types. What constitutes as a ray? I hope that's not a stupid question >.>;;
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nope, that's fine! Did you see my post in the Official PetCo baby Betta thread? I explained it there but give me a few moment's and I'll find the post for you ^_^
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Here it is: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....87438&page=139 go to comment #1390