Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Omg...

Not really about bettas, but (slight ranting ahead)...

I'm talking to an online friend that had a blue VT called 'No Name'. She told me he had died a while ealier today. She had him for 2 months. She didn't really know how to take care of him properly, kept him in one of those little .5 betta tanks. I had been giving her tips.

Well, now she tells me she bought 3 new fish as well as a new tank (because I had been urging her to get a bigger home for her guy).
After a bit of probing, it turns out it's like this:

She bought a 2.5 gallon with an algae eater, a barb, and a koi!

It was so ridiculous...she said they all passed away quickly after she put them in. Poor things. I told her about all the mistakes she had made with that. She told me the lady at the petstore had told her it was perfectly fine. Get this: the employee said not to feed tropical fish betta food. Not because of their difference in nutrition, but because tropical fish don't like to eat round pellets!

If I ever go to Cali I'm definitely giving this employee a good tongue lashing. I feel bad for all the fish she must have sold with this horrid advice.

I told my friend to come to me whenever she needed advice on fish instead...

But yeah. I am speechless...poor fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Awww, I'm sorry to hear about those poor fish!! Putting a koi in a 2.5 gallon tank? Bettas don't like round pellets? Where do these people get the info that they give to customers?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #3 
kelly528

It's my honest belief that you are as likely to get sound fishkeeping advice from a clerk at a LFS as you are from a random person off the street. Sure, thee are a small handful of people in each crowd who actually kow what they'redoing, but it's hit and miss.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #4 
doggyhog

These people know nothing....
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #5 
Kim

I just can't stand pet stores anymore >:( It's not even fun to look at decorations anymore because I know that there are dying bettas right around the corner. I think that we should all start buying from breeders....
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

ridiculous
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Well, there is some good news out of this. I spent a long time talking to her because she wanted to get another betta. So now I think she's better prepared.

She went out and got a gorgeous red HM today, along with some freezedried bloodworms, a clay pot, and a fake plant. So I hope her new guy is happy.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I just can't stand pet stores anymore >:( It's not even fun to look at decorations anymore because I know that there are dying bettas right around the corner. I think that we should all start buying from breeders....
I'm with you. The only problem is that they dying bettas need a shot at life. That's why these pet stores will always have bettas to sell. People like us can't stand leaving them there to rot in the cups.

Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote