Betta Fish Forum banner

Fry Not Free Swimming

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 ·
My fry are 6 and a half days old now and have not reached the free swimming stage. I don't think they will survive, but I was just wondering, what are some reasons for fry not reaching the free swimming stage? I have a high ammonia reading, but had started to water changes to lower it. The temperature is at a stable 82 degrees. Could it be genetics? The female is also quite young, around 4 months old, could that be a factor as well?

#2 ·
The female may definitely have a factor to it! You may want to lower the ammonia even a little more. The female is very young. I suggest next time you breed to start with a female that is a little older. :)

#6 ·
What do you mean not free swimming? Are they just hanging around rather than swimming all over? Newborn fry don't swim.. after a few days to a week you'll start seeing them dart more, but they won't "swim" until much later - weeks later - normally the first week they hang out at the surface (sometimes the bottom) and dart once in a while for food..

#10 ·
The temperatures at 82 and I covered the tank with a towel. I'm feeding micro/Walter/banana worms. The amount is just enough to cover the tip of a toothpick. I have them in a smaller container and I just swish the toothpick around in it. I read not to feed them until free swimming. But I decided to feed a little after day 5

#11 ·
I would switch to BBS asap - those micro worms are not nutritious and they lack a hormone which could cause a lot of fry to not grow their ventrals. As for the amount, sounds like a tiny bit.. with that temp (for future knowledge) I would start around day 3 after hatching.

Daily water changes of siphoning out the debris off the bottom, dripping new water in and feeding BBS daily and hopefully you will start seeing a difference.

#16 ·
Other than using IAL, DON'T use anything to lower pH - that will kill the fry instantly with any sudden changes.. and liquids don't keep the pH steady at all, which when it raises back up quickly will also be deadly. Bettas can adapt to whatever pH you have..

Water changes, do them daily of at least 50% removing the waste and dead food on the bottom - that will be a BIG help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.