Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 
ismintis

Talking Shopping Spree

I restrained myself from getting another betta at Petco today thankfully. (Which means I didn't look at the betta fishies at all which was really hard.)

I ended up getting the White Fluval Spec III which is 10 liters or 2.6 gallons. I already have a heater and thermometer from previous tanks that I will sanitize tomorrow for contamination . I then got a fake 'corkscrew' plastic plant (I know I know, but I really like this plant and I have never had any problems with it. I will get rid of it as soon as my live plants take over) I also got a Fluval moss ball that traps phosphate and I like them more than the real moss balls honestly. (Less mess and they are fuzzy )

My last purchase was this mushroom tree decoration thing that is made by Penn-Plax. I will soak it for a day or so to see if it smells like paint or anything because of the recent problems people have been having. If it's safe I will use a light sand paper to smooth out a few rough edges that I am concerned about. But overall it looks pretty neat.

I have an Argentine Sword plant that I have in quarantine and will add to the tank when everything is set up. Once it starts to grow I will buy another small plant to replace the plastic one in the back. I am also looking for some frogbit to put at the top but I haven't found any yet. So if any of you have some cheap ideas let me know! Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will post two pictures below of what the setup might look like:

ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wow! I actually really like the mushroom thing! I never thought Penn-plax would actually make anything decent! lol j/k that's really awesome, the tank looks great too!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #3 
ismintis

Thanks! My mom ended up finding it of course...I seem to pick weird things and she's like 'No no honey, pick this'. At least she approves ^-^

I went to my LPS for cat food and came home with extra carbon filters, Omega One blood worms (for some treats) and a pre-filter sponge to put over the filter spout to slow the current down even more.

Now I must await my baby fishy from Mr. Majcha :D
Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol that's good that your mom approves! My mom disapproves of anything fish related I bring home XD of course it's my hard earned money but she still wants me to put it all away and never use my money ever!

I'm sure your fishy will love it!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #5 
Lotte

You go girl. Love that setup.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #6 
ForbiddenSecrets

I really adore that mushroom tree. If I had a tank that it would work well in I think I would pick it up :)
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 
Seki

I loooove the mushroom tree! Now I want to redo one of my 2.5 gallons in a natural theme instead of the colorful thing I have going on in there!

That's awesome your mother likes to help you with your fish! My mother took an interest in helping me decorate a tank once, which is how I ended up with the cutesy colorful theme I have in my minibow right now lol. She fell in love with a turtle figurine and begged me to put it in, and now she comes into my room to coo at that fish in particular because she likes his tank.

With the last fish I brought home, though, her reaction was "ANOTHER one?" hahahaha
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #8 
ismintis

I'm going to set it up tomorrow to get the cycle going because in a week I should be unboxing my fish! So excited xD

Thanks, I really like the mushroom now too. It has a couple rough edges that I'm paranoid about, but sand paper will hopefully do the trick.

This is the pre-filter sponge that I put over the filter spout (or whatever it's called) to slow down the current. Other members have done this and I thought it was a cheap and easy way to make it safe for my fish.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #9 
ismintis

Heh, my mom is pretty great and supportive. As long as I get good grades and do my chores of course. She is a loving animal person just like me (I wonder where I get it from )
She asked me to go to Petco again last night because she thought she wanted this betta from earlier. But it was gone sadly lol. She's had two betta fish before that I take care of, but all my family members love to see the fish. My bf is going to use my old tank and get a betta himself actually. :) Luckily I surround myself with animal people or else I couldn't survive.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #10 
ismintis

An update on the tank; I added black sparkly sand, set up the filter and filled it with tap water and conditioner. The mushroom only smelled like a weird plastic thing, no paint or chemicals which is good. :) So I will use sand paper on the rough edges.
Tomorrow I will add the mushroom, fake plant, moss ball and argentine sword once the sand settles over night. I apologize for the two very bad quality pictures because my phone is stupid: