Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The salt kills them instantly. It's the same principle as putting salt on a leech but way quicker. I would definitely look for a local store that would take them instead of killing them though.

I've heard of copper for euthanizing inverts but idk if I would try it.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Post in the classifieds here. There are people who want them.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

She said she's not allowed to sell or give them to any of us.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
She said she's not allowed to sell or give them to any of us.
Oh, missed that at the bottom.

Well, as others said you could contact your lfs, they may take some off your hands. PetSmart likely won't, because they don't want to "contaminate" their tanks with fish from an unknown location. Why did you let the clutch hatch in the first place if you didn't have a plan for them? Or maybe you should get an assassin snail? At least in that case their death serves a purpose, as opposed to just killing them because you let the clutches hatch.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #15 
Riverotter

Have you talked to your parents about this?

Tell them that you're having a problem with this. That the snails are living things and you don't want to kill them as a way of solving the problem. explain that even snails shouldn't have to suffer just because they're not wanted especially when there ARE people who want them. Remind them that you paid money for the parents, who are the exact same kind of snail and people pay money for them every day.

Then tell them that you understand that your parents want to keep you safe by not having your info out on the internet. Ask them if they can please sell the snails for you. Either locally or online.

be reasonable, polite, and thought out.
My DD is 13, and if she pitches a fit, quite often my immediate response is NO. It doesn't matter if it's a justified fit, the whining triggers the primal part of my brain that is why some animals eat their young.

But if she comes to me calmly, and talks to me like a person, I always, always hear her out, and address her concern. My answer might still be no, but she'll understand why and know that I listened to her. And i would never, ever make her kill any animal under her care for convenience sake. I'm guessing that your parents didn't say anything like "Kill those snails by Friday or else!". I'm betting they probably just told you to deal with it some way that wasn't selling them online, and you're now at the end of your rope.

Any time you're at the end of your rope - talk to them. Parents are good for more then feeding you until you're 18 and giving you chores.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #16 
Graceful

Have you considered assassin snails? You could take out of the tank any snails you want to keep, temporarily.
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote