Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
Seki

Betta Besties <3

I can't get over how much I adore my girls. I had to share this with you guys~

I was in the process of introducing one of my longfinned (and possibly giant, you guys can judge for yourselves when you see pics) females into my sorority tank. She had been in a breeder box in the tank for a few days and I had noticed the little omega of my tank, Hershey, was almost constantly by the box, she and Orchid staring at one another but not flaring or anything. Just watching each other constantly.

"Oh hey, who're you?"

So fast forward to today. I was working on my computer and glancing up at the tank every now and then just to distract myself. At first glance, I simply thought "Oh, Hershey and Orchid are hanging out again." But then I realized something hadn't looked right and I glanced up again. Hershey was INSIDE the breeder box with Orchid. I panicked and grabbed a net to fish her out, but then I stopped as I realized... there was no fighting, no flaring, no chasing. They were hanging out together in the box and seemed to be buddies. In fact, I think Hershey might have jumped in there to have a moment away from the other girls, who sometimes chase her.

"Hi mom! I made a friend!"

"We're just gonna hang out for a while, okay?"

"She's nicer to me than the other fish."

"I can stay in here with her, right?"

In the end, since I saw very little aggression from Orchid with another fish in the box with her, I ended up releasing her into the tank earlier than I had planned. Things are going pretty well, although Tagalong, my alpha, is pretty stressed. I think her alpha spot is being taken from her, although Orchid is not particularly aggressive. She and Hershey are still palling around the tank together. Betta BFFs!!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh wow, Hershey is dwarfed!!!! Yeah I think your females are barely out of fryhood right now. Orchid may be a Giant or she can just be an older female, one who was properly raised by a breeder to get the best out of her. If she's over 1.9 inches though (not including tail), then she's considered Giant ^_^ Giant's are anything from 5-7 cm's generally.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 
Seki

It's tough to say, she's not one who holds still very often haha. But she looks like a solid 2 inches in body length alone, excluding any finnage. She's easily double the size of any of my other girls, and I think she's even larger than Siren, my other longfinned girl. If I can ever get a measurement I'll know for sure, but I think I can safely call her a giant. ^_^
Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

They're so cute. ^^ Orchid is so pretty.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #5 
Seki

Thanks Feng! I love her colors... I'm really hoping she ends up marbling a bit more, I'd love to see more of that purplish magenta color on her!