Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #1 
CritterNut

Aquabid Concern...

Hey guys, a seller from Aquabid just asked me to pay the 4% fee that paypal chargers to sellers. Paypal explicitly states that the fee is for the seller, not the buyer, so I paid him the $30, and I told him that the 4% fee is his responsibility, not mine. Should I report that activity? Is that normal?
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2 
xShainax

IMO you shouldn't have payed him until you sorted everything out
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Meh I have found some sellers ask for it even though Paypal says they are not meant to. To be honest it really doesn't come to a huge dollar amount if you are only purchasing a few things and for me it isn't worth the effort of kicking up a big fuss.

In my view, if I really want what they are selling I am willing to pay a 4% fee to get it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

Was it stated in the auction the seller wanted the PayPal fee? If not, I wouldn't pay it and if he demanded it, I'd report him or her to AquaBid. If the auction stated 4% would be added, then you have the obligation to pay it. JMO.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #5 
CritterNut

It wasn't stated, and luckily he didn't demand it! I just don't like being asked to pay a seller fee, it's more the principle than the amount. Besides, I don't think there is a way for me to tell PayPal that I'm paying it.
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #6 
nmaybyte

That is a red flag. I would report on the Aquabid site
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #7 
Stone

the seller wants you to pay it because even though it is only 4% which is like $1.20 US to him it is like 12 dollars or so depending on the exchange rate and well that is what he is hoping for how would you like to lose 4% or 12 dollars per 30 spent on your fish, so yes the 30 dollar fish to you is 300 or so to him... if it is a thai breeder of course

Last edited by Stone; 07-26-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #8 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
the seller wants you to pay it because even though it is only 4% which is like $1.20 US to him it is like 12 dollars or so depending on the exchange rate and well that is what he is hoping for how would you like to lose 4% or 12 dollars per 30 spent on your fish, so yes the 30 dollar fish to you is 300 or so to him... if it is a thai breeder of course
Unfortunately, that is part of the cost of selling and shipping. That's basic accounting. You make a product to send to someone and you send it plus pay for the shipping. If he was going to ask her to pay for that s/h (shipping and handling) then that should have been explained rather than just asking for her to pay the 4% up front.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #9 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaybyte View Post
Unfortunately, that is part of the cost of selling and shipping. That's basic accounting. You make a product to send to someone and you send it plus pay for the shipping. If he was going to ask her to pay for that s/h (shipping and handling) then that should have been explained rather than just asking for her to pay the 4% up front.
I am sure he doesn't squabble over it but if you can get 10% of the people to pay it thats just more money in his pocket for well just asking lol
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

as someone who has to pay a listing fee on products, that is the seller's responsibility to take into account, and to adjust his or her prices accordingly.

If I want to get my listing fee back, I include it in the overall price of the product I'm selling, not ask the buyer to pay it for me.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote