Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #31 
ChristinaRoss

thats a sweet attitude dragonfish............im sure youll take very good care of a new one
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #32 
DragonFish

^^ Thanks. Hopefully I'l be able to go later this week, I saw some others when I went ton Monday to look for meds that I set towards the back of the shelf, hope they're still there....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #33 
Kim

Oh I'm SO sorry that he didn't make it :'( RIP Smaug little guy.

You know, he probably had columnaris. It sounds exactly like it, and it is usually so fast acting that you can't save the fish :( You did all that you could for him, and at least he had a nice place to die instead of a little cold cup. You will want to completely sterilize the tank before you use it again because that is some NASTY stuff.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #34 
DragonFish

You know, I was thinking that it might be columnaris after the fact...it definitely hit and spread fast I've never actually seen/dealt with it before..so I wasn't sure :/ Though the pictures I'm looking at now on google look just like what he had....poor guy

I'm waaaaaay to scared to use bleach, would hot water and through scrubbing suffice? Thats what I've done; I rinsed everything in super hot water, scrubbed it all thoroughly, the soaked it in hot water, and I'm about to go empty it, scrub everything down, then dry it all off and it'll probably sit, dry, for a day or too....any bacteria should be killed when its dried out, right? At least, anything I may have missed?

Also...is this something you think he may have had before I got him even? I'd hate for this to be due to something I did wrong D:
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #35 
Kim

I think he likely already had it when you got him. This seems to happen a lot, that it is dormant until the environment is changed and then BAM, it just hits and destroys. If it were me personally, I'd use a bleach solution. I often use bleach to clean water change buckets of infected fish, stained silk plants, and my gravel siphon if it gets used on a sick fish's tank. I can assure you that I've NEVER had an issue. Just rinse, rinse, rinse, and if you want to be extra careful leave it in the sun for a day because bleach evaporates. Obviously, bleach can't be used on anything such as driftwood that will absorb it. I hope this helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #36 
DragonFish

Alright, good, I'm just happy its nothing I did...come to think of it, I saw a dead betta when I went last time with some really nasty fungus. O.o; Obviously, its something they're doing....now I'm a little hesitant about getting another betta there....and yet, its the only place I have regular access to...Petsmart and Petco are all an hour+ away.

I'm honestly still scared I won't rinse enough D8
...What is this sun you speak of? D: lol xD jk, theres no longer sun here in NW WA, constant clouds and rain, so thats not an option
I dunno if we even have bleach honestly...but WOULD it be okay with just really hot(even maybe boiled)water?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #37 
bgleon

Cool Attack!

Please help me identify - WHOT IS IT?
Is that good or bed, if bed how to nuke?
Attached Images

bgleon is offline   Reply With Quote