Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Our vet has always been lovely when it comes to putting our pets to sleep. When we got our old dog put down, her regular vet cried.

They sent us a sympathy card when our cat had her back broken by a dog and they weren't open and we were forced to go to an emergency vet (terrible experience).

We have had some awful experiences however with other vets at that practice, including when one of them cleared our elderly cat to come home and he almost died from pancreatitis and dehydration.

I always think if your gut is saying something is wrong and there are doubts in your mind, it's a sign to look somewhere else. It can take some searching to find a vet you are 100% happy with.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #22 
Pataflafla

My sister works at a vet office and sometimes assists with euthanasia.

According to her, the extra fee is usually to cover the catheter that is used since veins do sometimes collapse in older dogs and to cover for sedatives that are used before actually euthanizing to make the pet comfortable while the owners say their good byes.

The $50 for your euthanasia is probably just to take your pet to the back and euthanize in an almost identical manner as to when you're in the room for it, the extra charge is to cover the extra going in to the time you're there with your pet since it's booked as a regular vet appointment for the computer's sake.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #23 
percyfyshshelley

Hi. I'm a vet. I think what pataflafla said sounds about right. Extra charge for the catheter and appointment time. When we have to euthanize a pet, if the owner doesn't wish to be present, we generally just give the injection with a needle. If the owner wants to be present, we place a catheter first, because it's usually less traumatic for the owner to not have to see a needle. Plus, it seems harder to get a vein with a needle when the owner is there watching, upset, etc.
Having said that, we never charge extra for the owner to be there. I encourage the owner to be there, if they are comfortable doing so. Euthanasia is a peaceful procedure. We basically only charge to cover our costs. We don't charge an exam fee if the pet has been a patient of ours. When I was a student I worked at a vet's office that didn't charge anything, just asked for a donation that was then given to an animal charity.
We do have to charge a lot for cremation, but that's because we have to pay someone else to do it. We don't make a profit on this.
I'd say if you like this vet and can afford it, just pay the extra, or like others have said, look elsewhere.
I'm sorry you have to go through this.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #24 
Laki

My vet let me hold my dog's head and stroke him while the needle went in. There was no catheter and it was still peaceful. He whimpered for a second but was comforted and understanding. There was a vet and a tech present. No extra charge for us staying in the room and the cost of cremation was out of office, they sent my dog to the crematorium at a small fee but I had to travel to the outskirts to pick him up on my own dime.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #25 
Chevko

My boyfriend's parents dog had to be put down. No idea costs but I'm pretty sure it was the same price to be in the same room. Only once before they had to put down a pet, a French Lop I think, but they weren't allowed in the same room because it's back got broken I believe.

Definitely use your gut here. We can give so many stories but ultimately it's up to you for the decision.
Chevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #26 
Laki

Rodents, reptiles, birds and lagamorphs are different than dogs/cat euthanizations. Rabbits need to be gassed and then the needle is pushed straight to the heart (sounds gruesome, I don't mind if you report this for a mod to remove) but that's what they do. I asked to be in the room with my mini rex when it was her turn, even though she didn't know I was with her. It was comforting for me.

@percyfysh, do you honor requests of patients who wish to go in with their pets if they ask, and don't want to pay for the catheter??
Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #27 
Chevko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Rodents, reptiles, birds and lagamorphs are different than dogs/cat euthanizations. Rabbits need to be gassed and then the needle is pushed straight to the heart (sounds gruesome, I don't mind if you report this for a mod to remove) but that's what they do. I asked to be in the room with my mini rex when it was her turn, even though she didn't know I was with her. It was comforting for me.
I hope it doesn't get flagged to be removed -- I didn't know how that's done for rabbits until now, thought it was the all the same all around and it's educational as well. I can see why they didn't want his parents in the same room now, especially since my boyfriend's mom gets overemotional about things -- that would probably have been traumatizing for her.
Chevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #28 
percyfyshshelley

@Laki, our price for euthanasia is the same whether or not the owner is present. We don't charge anything extra for the catheter. If we have been treating the pet a lot for an ongoing condition that ends in euthanasia, we don't charge anything. the catheter also allows the owner more freedom to hold the animal in his/her arms, because we don't have to have a tech there holding off a vein and the animal doesn't need to be completely still. Every case is different, though; it all depends on the pet and the owner as to what's best.

I don't like sticking a needle into bunny hearts. but it's tricky to inject into a bunny vein, although it an be done. I don't do it enough to be good at it. Plus, trying to get a vein is stressful for the bun. So we do it intracardiac. They don't feel a thing though, because like Laki said, they are completely anesthetized. Another way I do it sometimes, which is what I did with my own bunny Montana st my house, is sedate the bun heavily and then inject the euthanasia solution into the abdominal cavity. It doesn't work as quickly, but it is painless except for the needle poke, which they don't seem to notice if they're sedated.

If an owner wants to be there for the heart injection, I certainly let them. I think an owner has a right to be with their pet in their final moment. I do explain everything ahead of time. Usually the owner will stay while the bunny is anesthetized and then leave for the final injection.

I apologize if this is getting too graphic. I just wanted to emphasize that euthanasia for rabbits is humane when done properly.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #29 
Laki

I should have added that the vet injects it into the heart for a quicker passing on, because poking around for a vein would be too difficult and stressful for the animal/owner. I did not watch the final injection but I stayed with her till the end.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #30 
LillieCharlotte

Time seems to have flown by since i first posted. My dog Casper was put down yesterday. He was 16 but I wasn't ready :( I ended up going to the same place since he knew them. They let us sit with him for a minute, then took him to the back and put the catheter in his arm. Then they brought him back out for the injection.

He loved to open presents
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote