Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Exclamation Possible ich!!

I changed jasper's water today and after I gave him his little bloodworm I noticed a small white dot on his anal fin. I cant figure out if it's dust or ich but I'm keeping an eye on him (I might know more tomorrow).
I did some looking around and looked at what ich was but couldn't find the medicine's for it. Can anyone tell me what they are...

He got fin rot a couple days after I got him and I read somewhere to not give him the petstores miracle cure all for betta's "bettafix" cause it's not that affective, but I had a blond moment when I got to the store and they practicaly shoved bettafix in my hands. Just curious on why bettafix is bad...

But I'm so sad that he might have ich now
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

It might just be a bubble from the water change.
Really, my fish get that almost every time I do a wc.
But just in case, do keep an eye.
I've never dealt with ich before, so I don't know how to treat it.
Hopefully someone else can answer that.

IMO, I don't think bettafix or melafix if bad, as long as you don't overdose. Melafix is the exact same thing, just more concentrated so if you ever use it, dilute it. I find it works well only for minor cases of fin rot when paired with salt baths. I think the tea tree oil just basically keeps the bacteria from spreading farther and keeping clean (an antiseptic really) and then the body heals itself.
If he still has fin rot you can try "jungle fungus eliminator".
I hear it works well.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

ooo ok thankx for clearing that up, he didn't have a relapse of fin rot as of yet but im left with half a full bottle of bettafix *lol* I use it sometimes when the idiot fish scrapes himself, it say's it's good for open wounds on the body.

does the bettas now if their sick, I cought jasper blowing bubbles earlier
he didn't even notice when he had fin rot, stubburn fish *lol*
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #4 
Kim

I've had bad effects using melafix (more concentrated form of bettafix), and it didn't do anything for me in the past. IMO salt baths and JFC (jungle fungus clear) work best for fin rot. It is bad because the main ingredient, melaluca (sp?) is damaging to the labrynth organ of bettas. Quick Cure is what I recommend for ick, but at this point I think you should just observe. Tiny bubbles or sometimes sand can appear to be ick, but do keep a close eye on it because you want to catch it early. I hope everything works out!
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #5 
Krys

i use long term salt baths to cure ich. Takes about two weeks, but it does work. it also help all the dead skin or scale fall off to make room for new ones.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote