Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #11 
coffeebutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have a few Tetra whisper 10i's. Near as I can tell, they work fine but for a divided tank - I would use two small sponge filters, one for each side. You can get an attachment that will allow you to hookup 2 to the same airpump and it will also let you adjust the airflow.
http://www.petco.com/product/119653/...Aquariums.aspx

I would go with a gravel substrate over sand though. Every time I change the water and refill, the water current moves the sane from the divider and I end up finding 2 fish on one side.
Thanks for the advice! Sad to hear about the sand...I had been looking at that as an option. Oh well lol
coffeebutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #12 
coffeebutts

Thanks everyone for your advice! I have the tank, a nice new stand, the filter, and my dad is custom making the divider with plexiglass...i'l post pics when it's all done; so excited ;u;) I know my two babies are going to love it!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #13 
FishyFloorzack

I might be a little late on this but I too got the 10 gal grreat starter kit. I'll be honest the filter is waaaaaay to strong for any fish. Mine has not leaked but they do a pretty crappy job on the silicone... And for the lights I wished they were covered because now you can't have any bubblers or any filter that gives air to the water, well because it can splash up into the lights. For the sand, you can get clips to hold the glass in place.The hood is plastic and at least it won't break! happy fish keeping!
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #14 
coffeebutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFloorzack View Post
I might be a little late on this but I too got the 10 gal grreat starter kit. I'll be honest the filter is waaaaaay to strong for any fish. Mine has not leaked but they do a pretty crappy job on the silicone... And for the lights I wished they were covered because now you can't have any bubblers or any filter that gives air to the water, well because it can splash up into the lights. For the sand, you can get clips to hold the glass in place.The hood is plastic and at least it won't break! happy fish keeping!
No worries! I got a kit that just comes with the hood really, and then went and bought an adjustable fluval filter. The only downside is I have to buy the bulbs but bleh is fine. I'll watch the lights then, tahnks!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #15 
Namialus

I have the Marineland ten gallon. It comes with a Penguin Filter 100 which I love because of the BIOwheel.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #16 
RussellTheShihTzu

I have sand substrate in a three-way divided 20 long. You can pour the water over a rock or other decoration, on the Plexiglas divider so it goes into both sides or use a defuser (a plastic cup with holes near the bottom works great).

I much prefer sand because it's easier to clean than gravel. I used gravel for donkey's years (try 40). This is my first sand substrate and I would never go back.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #17 
coffeebutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I have sand substrate in a three-way divided 20 long. You can pour the water over a rock or other decoration, on the Plexiglas divider so it goes into both sides or use a defuser (a plastic cup with holes near the bottom works great).

I much prefer sand because it's easier to clean than gravel. I used gravel for donkey's years (try 40). This is my first sand substrate and I would never go back.
Ahh yeah I am trying to decide between sand and the gravel...sand just looks so smooth and pretty and i'm sure my ghost shrimp would appreciate it (since all the junk is right there) and I find it would be a bit easier to catch other junk....

The fluval filter I have is long, vertical wise, with an exit on each end so my dad was finding away so that the plexi glass goes around it so it would be evenly divided...that way I don't see it being a problem with the current really moving the sand around (and since it's near the top and an adjustable flow...)

Silly question, but when you purchase the sand and want to rinse it off before putting it in the tank, is that difficult?

(ha also your username and icon, so cute, love shih tzus!)
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #18 
FishyFloorzack

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebutts View Post
Ahh yeah I am trying to decide between sand and the gravel...sand just looks so smooth and pretty and i'm sure my ghost shrimp would appreciate it (since all the junk is right there) and I find it would be a bit easier to catch other junk....

The fluval filter I have is long, vertical wise, with an exit on each end so my dad was finding away so that the plexi glass goes around it so it would be evenly divided...that way I don't see it being a problem with the current really moving the sand around (and since it's near the top and an adjustable flow...)

Silly question, but when you purchase the sand and want to rinse it off before putting it in the tank, is that difficult?

(ha also your username and icon, so cute, love shih tzus!)
I had 4 bags of sand to clean...but I rinsed them 5 times each. You must divide them into sections or you will be putting yourself in a much heavier situation! Haha. But if you clean it very well you will never have to worry about anything harming your fish!
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote