Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #1 
BurnishedOchre

Is this fin rot? Photos included

I have just bought this betta today, and as I've been watching him I've noticed the darker edges to some of his fins and the end of his tail seems like it does not open unless he flares. I have not been able to get him into his 3 gallon tank as it is still conditioning and acclimating to room temperature (where it seems like even without lighting or heater, it is at an extremely steady 81 degrees F over the course of five hours - room temperature is 77 F and the tank has a hood on it which may be keeping the temperature in).This is my first betta that I have owned, and I would like to know if my fish has the beginning of fin rot or fin clamp.

Here are two photos:

Name:  Desmoda.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  DesodesmadaCute.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  24.2 KB

Would anyone be able to help? I would like to try to get a salt bath started as soon as possible if fin rot or clamp is the case. As such, though, I only have his transport cup and his filled 3-gallon tank. Would it be too much of a shock for him to get transferred to salt solution from his original water (ie water he came in from the pet store)?

Thank you so much for your help. : )
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

It's hard to tell from these pictures because their fins aren't spread.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #3 
BurnishedOchre

Ah, okay. I'll see if I can get photos of him flaring, but he seems like a pretty laid back fish. He hasn't flared once since I've seen him, but he does like to dart around his transport cup at random intervals and press his nose/chin against the walls, almost like he is trying to find his way out (did I already say this? o.O). I'll come back with better photos!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #4 
BurnishedOchre

Thumbs up Desmoda flaring - signs of fin rot

I think it is confirmed that he has fin rot. Why didn't I think of making him flare sooner? Oh well - it is only his second day, so hopefully I can help him start healing with salt baths.

Name:  DesmodaTearing.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  42.0 KB
You can the see holes in his caudal fin very clearly, and the trailing edge is ragged. Thanks for helping me with the obvious, BettaxFishxCrazy! :D
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

No problem :) Yeah it looks like he's starting to get fin rot. I've heard that salt baths help and that you should use that first before you do the heavy medications. Hopefully I'll be able to buy some salt today and start treating my two DT's that have fin rot also. I thought that one of my VT's was getting fin rot but I looked over at his tank last night and realized that he's getting his tail caught in his plant so I have to get a silk plant today too. *sighs*
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #6 
iheartmyfishies

If he responds positively to the salt baths then it might be a good idea to keep aquarium salt in his permanent home at all times. This also helps to improve gill function and give a healthy slime coat. Just make sure it's AQUARIUM salt. I add some salt to all water changes I do in my tank and it's been doing wonders. Good luck!
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #7 
BurnishedOchre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
No problem :) Yeah it looks like he's starting to get fin rot. I've heard that salt baths help and that you should use that first before you do the heavy medications. Hopefully I'll be able to buy some salt today and start treating my two DT's that have fin rot also. I thought that one of my VT's was getting fin rot but I looked over at his tank last night and realized that he's getting his tail caught in his plant so I have to get a silk plant today too. *sighs*
I'm thinking that I may have to sand down a few edges to his hide myself - I don't want him to get any worse! Thanks for the assurance - I gave him a salt bath earlier today and he really responded well to it, and now he is in a container with a light salt solution - I hope that I've caught it early enough.:)
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #8 
BurnishedOchre

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyfishies View Post
If he responds positively to the salt baths then it might be a good idea to keep aquarium salt in his permanent home at all times. This also helps to improve gill function and give a healthy slime coat. Just make sure it's AQUARIUM salt. I add some salt to all water changes I do in my tank and it's been doing wonders. Good luck!
Awesome! He really did well in the solution I put him in earlier, so I have been thinking of the constant salt idea already. He is in a light salt solution now and is his normal, sporadic self. Seems like he really wants to get out of his container, but he was like that when I got him home as well. He also tried to escape the net I held him in while administering the first bath. I hope that is a sign of health and not something ominous! :P Thank you for the advice!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

you could just treat him in his tank, typically people add about 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon regardless of illness. its just good for them in general. the oles in his tail look like he "blew a tail" meaning maybe hes been flaring too much at the store or also is from the discusting water they usually keep them in. maybe even try a dose of melafix to promote healing from the finrot.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #10 
BurnishedOchre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
you could just treat him in his tank, typically people add about 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon regardless of illness. its just good for them in general. the oles in his tail look like he "blew a tail" meaning maybe hes been flaring too much at the store or also is from the discusting water they usually keep them in. maybe even try a dose of melafix to promote healing from the finrot.
That's a good suggestion. The thing is though, I haven't transferred him to the new tank yet, and as such I have not gotten any salt into it - would I be able to put the prescribed amount of salt into the tank directly and make sure it's dissolved, or will I have to make a new batch of salt solution and dump out the water already in the tank to replace it? Seeing that a filter is keeping water circulating, I am thinking that diffusion should be sped up considerably.

Thanks for all the great information! I just got back from the store - too bad I didn't get any Melafix. Perhaps the next time I go I will get some for a precaution if the salt doesn't do enough.

Tags
fin clamp, fin rot, illness, new fish, salt bath