Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

The egg removing idea is better because it takes a few minuets for the eggs to become fertilized.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

Also, limiting the amount of times the pair wraps can reduce the amount of eggs you have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Also, limiting the amount of times the pair wraps can reduce the amount of eggs you have.
Good thing I didn't do that with my CT pair because she wasn't releasing eggs at all. Just a note, I'm not gonna sell these ones, I'm gonna try inbreeding and then see what happens.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #24 
andakin

i would never prematurely end a spawn or kill off eggs. maximizing the number of offspring will allow for better selection of keepers.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #25 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
i would never prematurely end a spawn or kill off eggs. maximizing the number of offspring will allow for better selection of keepers.
Hmm good point.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #26 
Vikki81207

Yes that is a good point
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, good point. But wouldn't that mean more that you have to cull? I just posted that info about limiting the number of wraps and removing eggs because I found the info on bettatalk and I want people to know that there are other alternatives. Culling is up to the individual breeder.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #28 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
DQ is right, and I really don't want to have to cull.
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #29 
cindylou

I agree and disagree to some extent. If you do not know enough about any animal don't breed them but again you can't expect to know what nature is going to hand you! I do know one thing though I bought a blood fin tetra from a pet store that was shaped like an L, yes a letter L and he lived for about 4 years. If that animal is not in pain and is eating and surviving with no problem so be it. I myself though will not kill anything just because of size or shape ect. We would not do humans that way and all my fish are just like my children. I commend you for letting people know of the things that can go wrong though and leave breeding to the more experienced person.
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #30 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Yes, I agree somewhat with this point. The major factor is that people should not continue to breed subpar fry, then the deficiencies would end with that one fry. Just as with every animal, responsible breeding is a must to keep the species or breed as good as it can be.
I agree and in the end it comes down to responsible breeding. Having the knowledge, equipment, supplies, ect to get the job done. Saying that I also believe that bettas should bred to maintain the correct size, shape ect. And to get rid of the deformities and problems. And like iheartmyfishies mentioned earlier if breeders don't do this the quality will surely decrease.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote