Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

Missing scales??

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 81.4-84 (I'm struggling against a house that's regularly getting up to about 86-88F. I'm doing everything I can to try to cool his tank down. On chilly nights the heater keeps it at about 80.5)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, though it's as baffled as I can get it.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Trumpet snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, with frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms as supplemental treats. Just gave him his first NLS pellets, as well.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I try to do it once a week, but I've been struggling with low levels of ammonia, so there's been more.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I aim for about 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I test my water parameters at least once a day, sometimes more. The spreadsheet of results can be viewed here. The tank in question is the second tab. Chloramines keep my tap water at .25-.5ppm ammonia, so if my water tests in that range I tend to add Prime to detoxify it, rather than stress him out with additional water changes.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? There's a small gray patch on his back that looks like missing scales, but I'm not sure.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now. He was fine when I looked in on him before leaving to run to the pet store to have my water tested by someone else and pick up a couple other things, but when I came home and checked on him, he had this patch. I was gone maybe an hour and a half (had to go to two stores).
Have you started treating your fish? There's an IAL in his tank, that's all
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Some tailbiting that seems to have stopped since I added more plants to his tank.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Adult, but otherwise unknown. I got him from Petco just shy of a few weeks ago.

Here's a picture of the issue.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

It looks like he has bumped into something, or rubbed against an object. This happened to one of my past bettas, do you have any decorations?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #3 
Flyby Stardancer

There's a porcelain cave, no sharp edges, a bunch of live plants, the rhizome plants are all tied to smooth stones, and then there's the heater and filter. Nothing sharp on the heater, and thought the only part of the filter I thought was potentially damaging (the intake strainer) is covered with a sponge.

And I was thinking of adding a little bit of CO2 boosting liquid, would that be safe to add? (Forgot to put this in the original post.)

Here's what the tank looks like and everything in it:
Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... I guess it was the cave. But, he'll heal. As long as you try to keep the water parameters low, he'll recover.
The plants should make the ammonia disappear, I wonder what's wrong.

And, like Seachem Excel? I'm not sure, do you really need it? I heard overdosing will kill fish, but I'm not sure if under dosing will affect bare patches of flesh.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 
Flyby Stardancer

I have no clue. And I have been (or at least I thought I have been) having trouble with nitrates as well, but that also could have just been my testing liquids being bad. I got new bottles, just to be sure.

They didn't have Excel at either store, so I have the API version. And my stem plants just haven't been growing, and there's plenty of light and nutrients for them, so the other other variable is the CO2 levels.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Hm.. API Leafzone is pretty weak to the Seachem Flourish. I suppose API's CO2 supplements are weak the same. You can try the CO2, it won't be as effective but it will do for now.

Your plants help your tank with the parameters, you can't afford them to die. :o
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #7 
Flyby Stardancer

I'm also starting off slowly with the CO2 boost, so that I don't melt the Crypts. They don't like sudden changes in water parameters, and that includes CO2 boosters. lol The recommended dosage for this is the same as for Prime, which would be 2 drops/gallon. I added one drop tonight, and will start doing daily supplements tomorrow, upping the number of drops every couple of days or so. It might drive me crazy to go so slowly, but I'll do it. Heh.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I see. Oh, I should mention. I'm not a plant person, I don't use ferts except a weekly dose of Leaf Zone for my plants which hardly need anything. ^.^ I don't even buy proper lighting. So don't quote me on anything! lol

And alright. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #9 
sainthogan

My female is a notorious jumper and jumps for anything that even closely resembles food. She used to jump for the water droplets on the lid of her tank, and in the process, she would bump and scrape her head. She lost scales all the time as a result. Warm, clean water was the best thing, and they healed fairly quickly.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote