Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Looking for duckweed!

I'd like some duckweed! I was told that it would help my algae problem, and I've also kind of wanted some anyway. I can pay via paypal. I have two 10 gallon tanks that I would like to put some in. Send me a PM, please. Thanks!
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #2 
snowflake311

Any fast growing steam plant and add some otos algae will be under control.

The more plants the better and what is your light? How often do you do wc? Is the tank new? What kind of algae is it?

Over the years I share I have seen every algae you can get in an aquarium. I finally know how to keep a balanced tank now so algae is not a broplem.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

I could mail you a small amount of duckweed (free) to get you started however, there could be snails in it. I obtained some free from a local nursery that has outdoor pond plants on display outside. The duckweed has been sitting in a plastic container in my window since I got it a few weeks ago and has not been in fish tank (but maybe a big pond). The snails were hitchhikers. I have been stalling about putting it in my fish tank because of the snails. I read you can bleach dip it on the plant forum.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 
peachii

Beware, once you add duckweed to a tank it is literally impossible to get rid of without re-doing the tank. I just tore down a 10 gallon today to get rid of it since it was growing to fast and blocking all the light for my plants. I won't add it to another tank if i can help it but it seems to always find it's way in.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Beware, once you add duckweed to a tank it is literally impossible to get rid of without re-doing the tank. I just tore down a 10 gallon today to get rid of it since it was growing to fast and blocking all the light for my plants. I won't add it to another tank if i can help it but it seems to always find it's way in.
Mine hasn't really been spreading. It's not declining, but the same amount I put into the tank almost a week ago is still in there. Do you know how fast it is supposed to multiple? The way others were talking I assumed I would have a duckweed forest by now.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

Peachi I was little concerned about it blocking light I am considering using it as an interim plant until I plant all my 5 gallons. I don't think I will put it in my 29 gallonn I could see it getting attached to other floating plants.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #7 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
that's funny, mine DIES! lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #8 
Stone

The duckweed peachii and I have was well not so bad at first and seemed ok, then one day it's growing kicked in and we can literally scoop 9/10ths out of a tank weekly every week, but it will help keep algae in check and is easy to grow lol and skywillow can you come over and kill some of ours in the tanks we don't want it in?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #9 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
The duckweed peachii and I have was well not so bad at first and seemed ok, then one day it's growing kicked in and we can literally scoop 9/10ths out of a tank weekly every week, but it will help keep algae in check and is easy to grow lol and skywillow can you come over and kill some of ours in the tanks we don't want it in?
just send it my way! We'll save a mint on gas that way.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

Well I have duckweed in the 29 gallon tank now like it or not. I dropped some new plants in that found at a local store still in the bag (not put in the tanks yet) I left them sitting on the counter while I was doing something with the tank when I noticed them again they were looking a little wilted. So I dropped them and up come floating the duckweed that must have been stuck to them.