Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #1 
Daz209

Unhappy What did I do wrong?

Okay so my beautiful black and green betta, Xander, died yesterday and I want to know if I did something wrong so if I decided to get another betta later I don't do it again.

So originally I had Xander in a gallon size tank but I got him a 2.5 gallon a few days after. ( I wanted to get a bigger one but he was already showing signs of poor swimming at the time and I didn't think he would do well with the current of a filter. Since I just got him, I thought it may just be a deforming because he was attempting to bubble nest)

He had a glass cover but I left it cracked opened
No light and no heater (temperature stays at about 78 on the thermometer)
again no filter because he was having issues swimming
I have two different ornaments and two fake plants and a moss ball
He would only eat betta flakes and occasionally worms.

His swimming got worse. He had a hard time turning and started swimming horizontally and idling on his side. I did some research and thought he may have fin deterioration. Problem was it looked like his whole body was getting smaller not just losing fin (but he was still eating a little). I decided to try this medicine that is suppose to help with fin and skin disease for betta. I read reviews and found no bad ones. I made sure to follow the directions exactly but on the third morning when I went to put the treatment in he was dead. This is where it get a little weird. My brother said he'd take care of it for me but when he used the net to pull him out he said he it was Xander was slimy (here I should note I keep my tank very clean and had just cleaned it out before i started the treatments). This is probably the part that has me the most stumped ... when he flushed him (ah so sad!) it left green marks on the toilet... like his color of green... as if he was bleeding out his color.... I really have know idea ... pigments of color shouldn't come off. I thought I'd ask some people about it. See if they have heard anything like it. I had Xander for a little more than month I think. My first betta and I hated fish before my brother gave him to me... know I would love more but am a little hesitant on getting one.

Thanks for your time!
Daz209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #2 
countyrd419

So sorry about Xander . I am wondering if you didn't acclimated him properly before you added him to the 2.5 gallon tank. What tank do you have?
I have the 2.5 gallon tank made by Aqueon which is sold at PetSmart.

I'm sure other more experience owners will chime in as the day goes by.
Stay tuned. Just remember this site is the best for anything betta fish related.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 
Daz209

Thanks! Yeah I'm not sure. I made sure the tank was the right temperature but maybe it wasn't the same as the other (the other tank didn't have a good thermometer). I believe my tank is the same as yours. Got it and most of everything else in it from PetSmart

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #4 
xShainax

What kind of medicine did you use?
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #5 
Daz209

Bettafix by aquarium pharmaceutical got it at Petco. Suppose to help heal damaged fins and skin
Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #6 
xShainax

I heard bettafix can kill betta's
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

API is a respectable company - I cannot believe that they would sell a product for bettas that killed them.... That just doesn't make any sense.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #8 
Daz209

I didn't do the full dose for the tank size. I was afraid of overmedicating him. He was on kind of side. I also didn't see any bad reviews but I know that doesn't me it's not a bad product.

Last edited by Daz209; 07-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #9 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
API is a respectable company - I cannot believe that they would sell a product for bettas that killed them.... That just doesn't make any sense.
We need not look at countless reports there of bad batches of medicine to remember that companies sometimes make bad crops. With that said, I don't think the Bettafix would have been instrumental in Xander's demise. Did you notice anything else about the tank? Anything at all? Your brother said there was slime on him, did he or you notice a film on the top of the water?
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 
Daz209

Yeah there was film and I had to keep cleaning the ornaments as well. they kept getting black stuff on them. I tried to clean it as often as I could (one to two times a week about a 30-40% water change) but I was afraid to take Xander out because he was already having trouble swimming.