Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #61 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
It looks like Columnaris to me. (Based on the second photo in post 53.)

If this was my fish, I would use a furan antibiotic such as API Furan 2, Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear.

(You can keep using Epsom salt for the popeye if you want. (But I think he really needs an antibiotic too.))
(You can keep using API General Cure if you want. (But it treats fungal and parasitical problems, not bacterial.))

For bacterial infections, you want the temperature on the lower side. (About 76-77F.)
Thank you LittleBlueFishlets, today he is worse. Almost gone. Skin is more necrotic, almoust no fins, he became very small like Noodle a week ago http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=232314. So API General cure did nothing.
He doesnt eat because he cant catch pellets.
I did not see your massege last night, already was in bed...

Last edited by Lena N; 07-30-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #62 
LittleBlueFishlets

API General Cure is for treating fungal and parasitical problems. However, it looks to me like Columnaris, which is a gram negative bacterial infection.

API Furan 2, Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear should all be effective.

Kanaplex (kanamycin) is EXCELLENT too, but it's not generally available at many petstores. (You can order it online.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #63 
Lena N

Ok, guys, some update. He doesnt look any good or better though he has eaten couple blood warms this morning and you can not imagine how happy this act made me.

I treat him with Maracyn 2 and Furan 2 mixed second day already. Gave him 30 min bath with Methelene Blue yesterday. Today added some (0,5 tea spoon for G) AQ salt into his Quaratin tank. Afraid to add more.
Temp 76F. Botled water fro lower PH...

If he lives a little bit longer I would be so happy.
But he does suffer. His pectoral fins look like needles now. I do not understand how he still swims without fins. He wants to live so much...
Please pray for his recovery if possible. Thank you.

P.S. I wonder why nobody answered my thread How much salt is 1% salinity? How much is double bath in Methylene blue?, nobody knows?

Last edited by Lena N; 07-31-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #64 
BETTACHKALOVE

Hey Lena it good that he ate!
0.5 tsp/gall. Usually the minimum recommended dose is 1tsp/gall. But you are adding already many medications and Methelene Blue bath. I don't know but i think i would hold on on salt for now.
Wait until someone else will confirm it, i am not as experienced as other people who was helping you.
You doing something right if he is eating.
Do you have frozen food?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #65 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree, I would hold off on the salt for now since there are other medications. Combining those two medications are already stressful enough for him.

I too am glad he ate something! That's good!

And as for the salinity, I really don't know but I know usually Marine/Saltwater tanks usually have a device of sorts to measure out and test salinity. Something like this: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pinpoint-salinity-monitor but that's waaay too much money just to figure out what 1% is :-/
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #66 
Lena N

Thank you, guys. He is not doing any better, so I put him in a cup near me. At least he will be with me some more time.

I ordered kanaplex online....
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #67 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

okay that sounds good.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #68 
LittleBlueFishlets

1% salinity means a 1 to100 ratio of salt to water. To prepare 100mL of 1% saline solution, add 1 gram salt to 99 grams (99 mL water).
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #69 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sorry, had to go before, so I didn't get to finish typing. Here are some numbers that may help, if you want to prepare a 1% saline solution.

However, I would be cautious about combining medications and salt. Both are processed by the kidneys, and using both can over stress them. This can lead to bloating, fluid retention, constipation, etc. (In severe cases, it could potentially lead to kidney failure.)

1% saline examples:
  • To prepare 1 Liter of a 1% saline solution: Use 1 teaspoon salt per liter. (10 grams salt is needed.)
  • To prepare 1 gallon of a 1% saline solution: Use 3.5 teaspoons salt per gallon. (38 grams salt is needed.)
Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #70 
Lena N

Ok, guys, I thought I would post it as it may help someone in future.

After spending many hours in internet I found that his desease looks both like

Columnaris and Gyrodactylus and the medicine that treats both very successfully

is Acriflavine.

Of course you can order only online...

Even on Seachem Paraguard page it was recommended against Columnaris by Seachem worker.

Last edited by Lena N; 08-01-2013 at 04:15 PM.